A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Students who do not stop making noise

I have 2 kinders who are constantly making noises. I'm pretty sure both of them have ADHD (one for sure). They both sit on wiggle seats and use figits, which helps a little bit with the excessive movement.

However, this noise thing is driving us all crazy. One student makes noise maybe 95% of the day. This is not an exaggeration...She usually makes a strange sound like she is straining her voice. Like a whispering scream. The other child hums maybe 70% of the day. I do not believe that either child is aware of the noises they are making. The other children are becoming very frustrated and have a difficult time focusing during quiet work time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to help them? I have asked the special ed teacher who works in my classroom (she does not work with them-they are not diagnosed), as well as numerous other teachers in my school, but no one has any suggestions for me. These poor kiddos are losing friends because they drive everyone crazy, but I don't know what to do!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I've never dealt with this but the only thing I can think of is some kind of visual marking system. It doesn't have to be public to everyone else but it needs to be public to them. Tell them you are going to record a mark every time you notice they do this and look and see how many times they do it. Then you will try to come up with some kind of system where they get rewarded when it is less frequent. Make it a game but one that gets the student aware of what they are doing and see if they can catch it on their own. You might even give them slight pause and see if they "catch" it before you do. Let them know you are working on it WITH them but that they need to be aware of what they are doing and try to reduce it. You know they may need to do it sometimes but not all the time. Then during certain periods of the day, they have "free time" to do it if they wish.

That's what I would try (without knowing the kids).
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
When you solve this problem, let me know. My GS, aged 10, makes those noises all the time. I have a special signal I use to alert him to the noise, and he will stop when I remind him. I did have a discussion with him and let him know that it was very annoying to have to listen to that noise.

I got him a magic seat. I can't remember what they are called, but it takes some effort to sit on it, and it gives some physical feedback. When he does take it to school, all the kids want to sit on it.

I have seen a suggestion about putting a piece of velcro on the child's desk so he can rub it to satisfy his need for movement.

I would not attempt to squash the behaviors as the child needs to have an outlet for the figets.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Rookie

Oklahoma
Maybe try playing some background music, classical, instumentals, or natural sounds. That may mask their noises and allow the other students to work. For the noisemakers, I agree with the above posts, they are probably not aware. Work with the students to create a tracking system or a way to disrupt their noises, but try to do it discretely ~~ tapping their chair with your foot or sending them on a quick errand, anything to signal to them that they are making the noise.
Good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
We also use a signal with a few of our students and it has helped. One of our students went from making noise all day to now barely needing to be reminded to stop.

I love the idea of playing some kind of quiet music to help mask, plus it will get students used to working in environments with some noise. It might also be a clue for the other students...I have one boy that cannot function in a completely quiet place.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
My son has ADHD and ADD and spent his early years as the child the "made noises". I would love to tell you that they will stop when you remind them, but it is my experience that when they are so young "stopping" is for as long as it takes your heart to beat twice....and then the noise is back. As he has gotten older it has really helped. As with Blues GS my son now rarely makes noise.

The fidgets, and fidget seats and still wiggling is not uncommon, that is him as well. The velcro on the desk is something I asked for continually but never was allowed for him. He was denied fidgets and seats in all classes. At home he sits on an excersize ball to do his work and it works well. I warned him when we purchased it that if he spaced out or wiggled it would "buck him off", he isn't always working, but he hasn't fallen off either.

My only word of caution is on the background music. My son's behaviors INCREASED in rooms where there was music. He keys into music. It is a great outlet for him. He is a VERY auditory learner and notices who coughed in the class, who is leaving, who is in the hall without looking. So when there are things like music going he is needing to work HARDER to focus on the task at hand then he can handle. I could never convince the teachers of this, and these years he nearly flunked the grade. The teachers were unhappy, he was unhappy....but the music played on. At home we use fans (not always pointed at us) if we need to block out a sound.

Do those two students like each other? Could they be a "team" slightly away from the others to work? I like the tapping of the chair each time you need to tell them about the noise. That is what we did with our son. If we did it with words it became a fight. But just a nudge or a tap, after we had the conversation, was totally enough. Well, enough for that second. Then you hope that it builds like in the other posters' comments.

Tags
making, noise, stop, students