A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Companion

md
I hate substitute teaching

I have been absent due to my crazy schedule. In the meantime, I have been working on my Master's and teaching as a substitute. Now, about that...
My work life is the pits. I sub for a county that is divided between wannabe ghetto and country. In every SINGLE school I have been to, I have been treated as an idiot who is just there to take up space. I am not talked to as a human being. I get no respect from other teachers or administrators, not to mention students. Students, I can forgive (although their lack of manners and respect for adults leaves much to be desired) but as for adults... Here a few things that have happened to me:
Room teachers who think I answer to them, and not my boss. They will demand I do things that go against what my administrator says I can do (like leaving kids alone in the room or going into a student's restroom with them...don't ask) and when I say that I will not be doing those things they get in my face in front of kids and say I have to listen to them (they quickly learn to get out of my face...)
I get assigned all over the county, some places 2 hours away...sometimes there are things I cannot plan for, like a deer pile-up or a log truck rollover...the secretaries yell at me when I call and say I will be late...A little appreciation that I just don't turn around and go home. Yes, I understand you need a sub, but ladies, you have people to cover the class, such as three vice-principals and five secretaries...who is going to come and wash deer entrails from my undercarriage??
Parents who barge in the room, guns blazing and start screaming...They don't even know I am not their child's regular teacher.
Schools assume I just magically know their schedules and parking and reward systems. Umm, so far this year, I have been to 86 schools, each with there own unique way of doing things
I get paid 12.49 an hour...enough said...
I am more educated than most teachers there, but they talk to me like I have an IQ of 40. I have been educated at well-reknown schools, studied abroad and have two Bachelors, one in History and one Biology. I go in, and teachers have words misspelled on the board and in their lesson plans and simple math done incorrectly.
I have had kids call me 'Slim', Ms. Cock, Fat A$$, spit on me and steal my lunch bag. I have had other teachers hit on me, call me Ms. Fancy when I tell them where I live after they ask or just say 'of course you do' like it is a crime.
All this makes me hate everything. Why do I want to work with these people for kids who don't give a crap?? I have been teaching for over 10 years and looking at different jobs, but my resume is all education. I don't know if I am burnt out, or if I truly dislike the educational profession now. Sigh.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Multitudinous

So stop subbing...?

The situations you've described sound awful. I've never experienced anything even marginally as bad.

In another thread you said that you don't appreciate other teachers trying to help you. I'm sure that your job in these places must be made more difficult when you refuse to accept assistance.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Groupie

WA
Primary Elementary Teacher
I certainly wouldn't be subbing in schools that treat me like this. When I was subbing I blocked a school from contacting me because everyone there was so disrespectful.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Life's too short to be doing work that you hate.

Can you find some other type of job?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Rookie

Substitute Teacher
I can kind of relate, except I make around 9.00/hr. Secretary's talk down to me and expect me to sit in the office till right before the bell rings instead of getting me in to the classroom right away to read the lesson plans and be prepared. Sometimes I come in and go in the room and the teacher is writing the lesson plans right there in front of me. When they do that, I don't feel overly obligated to be a perfect substitute since it doesn't seem like they care if the day goes smoothe. If you're not prepared then why should I be? Aides yell at me for stupid things and speak down to me and sometimes they won't even look at me. Students sometimes say demeaning things like oh you're a suuuuuuuuuubbbbbbbbb. It's the way they say it. Well, with all that said, I like being a substitute. I like taking the class that thinks they're going to get away with murder for the day and wake them up big time. I had middle school boys sitting up straight and calling me Mam once. I love it when a challenging unruly class becomes engaged and learns something. Every once in a while I get my revege on the bitchy secretary I meet. Hee hee. I had a secretary who was very dismissive and rude to me a while ago and she said to someone "Oh the parapro is here." I said, "Don't refer to me as a parapro, I'm a certified teacher who is working as a parapro for the day." If she hadn't been so bitchy I wouldn't have said anything. When students are rude to me, I rock their world, and sometimes call their parents, which I know most subs won't do. I get a lot of hugs and students from 3 months ago will remember me and shout out to me on the playground or in the hall. Subbing is so hard, but you develop coping mechanisms. I play classical music when I sub, and it calms me down. I guess since I've never had my own classroom, I can't know if the grass is greener on the other side. I just know it's better than when I had the injection molding job in the factory.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellatheSub View Post
Sometimes I come in and go in the room and the teacher is writing the lesson plans right there in front of me. When they do that, I don't feel overly obligated to be a perfect substitute since it doesn't seem like they care if the day goes smoothe. If you're not prepared then why should I be?
Really?

It is pretty unfair of you to assume that a teacher doesn't care if they come in to write a lesson plan on the morning of an absence. There are many reasons that this could happen, the biggest one being that the teacher didn't anticipate being absent. Illnesses that knock you down from out of nowhere, sick kids, funerals, and getting pulled from the classroom to do a last-minute training are all valid reasons that a teacher might be absent without notice.

While most teachers do have emergency sub plans that can be used at any point throughout the year, they often prefer that the class continue with whatever subjects they're currently learning. That means making individualized sub plans, sometimes on the spot or on the morning of the absence. I would think that you as a sub would appreciate it when teacher goes out of her way to give you a set of useful, updated plans even when she is sick or planning a road trip for an unexpected funeral.

If a sub ever presumed to know my intentions as a teacher based on when I wrote my sub plans, I'd be pretty unimpressed. And I very likely wouldn't ask that person to sub for me ever again.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Comrade

Indiana
5th Grade Teacher
I agree. I live over 30 minutes away from my job, and I have went all the way to work while sick to get plans ready for a sub that morning.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachgrade5 View Post
I agree. I live over 30 minutes away from my job, and I have went all the way to work while sick to get plans ready for a sub that morning.
I did the same thing just last week. I mean, which is better, plans made that morning or none at all?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellatheSub View Post
Sometimes I come in and go in the room and the teacher is writing the lesson plans right there in front of me. When they do that, I don't feel overly obligated to be a perfect substitute since it doesn't seem like they care if the day goes smoothe. If you're not prepared then why should I be?
When I subbed (or sometimes I'm pulled from my position to take over on emergencies), I have NEVER had a problem being in the room as the teacher was writing up there plans. In fact, I loved that they were there because it gave me a chance to talk to the teacher. I would ask them where things were at (supplies, books, worksheets) and important information (health, bus kids, procedures). Not once when I subbed did I ever assume the teacher was just too lazy to have written it up beforehand.

AND, let's say you were subbing for a lazy teacher, why would you stoop to their level of professionalism?

ETA: And yes, I do agree that subbing is VERY difficult. I don't deny that. But, you have to get a feel for the schools that are great to sub at and you have to sub at different districts. Then, once you realize which schools are worth it, sub only for them.

ETA: I've had some great days subbing and some horrendous days subbing. I wouldn't say that subbing, as a whole, "sucked", though. It taught me a lot about being a strong, firm, confident educator... AND the ability to think on the spot.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Novice

Connecticut, USA
No way around it, subbing sucks. You must understand that before starting. I would never sub in a bad district because if the regular teachers are having a hard time, you know they'll show no mercy to an outsider.

I subbed one day at a low rent school. Kids abused me, so I told the school I wouldn't be back. Then I subbed at a better school and got better treatment.

Treat yourself with respect. Get out of bad situations. Don't jeopardize your career being in a bad school with bad kids.

Remember: subbing sucks.

Tags
hate, substitute, teaching