A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Cohort

California
Library Assistant
Christmas trees...

Another question about how long a live holiday decoration will last...

My husband and I are buying our first Christmas tree this year, and it will be a fresh one. We live in southern California and lately it has actually felt like winter temperatures, 60s and what not.

When should I plan on buying the tree? I was thinking of getting it on December 9th, which is a Thursday and it just fits into my schedule the best. Is that too early? Or can I get it the weekend before? I just don't want the tree to die or be super dried out by Christmas day!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
We always get a tree later in December. This year probably the 16th since we have a party on the 18th at our house. How long do you want to keep it up? I like to try to keep it till Little Christmas - Jan 6.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Fanatic

Pennsylvania
High School Teacher
I love real trees, but it just wasn't a good idea in my apartment - what a pain! So I bought an artificial tree. I think it looks great, especially once all my ornaments are on it.

This year since we have the house, I have thought a lot about getting a real one but I think I am going to stick with the artificial. It is so much work to put it up and take it down that I like it to be up for awhile - usually right after Thanksgiving through epiphany. I saw trees at a roadside stand while I was out today - already cut and waiting - that can't be good. I can't imagine them not being dried out by Christmas.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Multitudinous

It hurts my heart to think about killing a tree. That's why we use artificial trees. These days there are many artificial trees that look really good. That's what I recommend, even though you didn't ask for it.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Cohort

California
Library Assistant
Hmmm, I never thought about how long I want to keep it up after Christmas. I guess if it lasted until New Years that would be fine. So if we got it, say on the 11th, that would be 3 weeks until New Years. If we needed to get rid of it the day or so after Christmas, that would be fine.

So is 3 weeks too long to expect it to look decent? How often do you water them?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Cohort

California
Library Assistant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
It hurts my heart to think about killing a tree. That's why we use artificial trees. These days there are many artificial trees that look really good. That's what I recommend, even though you didn't ask for it.
Hehe. Well thank you for your opinion, I respect it!

Don't they specifically grow Christmas trees to be cut down and just replant them for the next year? Christmas tree farms? So it's not like I'm buying a tree and helping to deforest an area of the world, right? Now I feel bad!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Multitudinous

Yes, they do specifically grow them for Christmas, but it's still sad to me.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
Cut the bottom so it is fresh - like stems of flowers. Check the water every day. They can really soak up a lot of water. We are also in So. Cal and get it in mid Dec. and leave up until New Year's but we cut it down fresh.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Cohort

California
Library Assistant
Caesar: Ok, whew. That does make me feel a bit better...hope that doesn't sound harsh!

scmom: Where do you get your tree from?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
We water whenever the tree stand is empty pretty much everyday in the beginning it needs a lot of water

Tags
christmas, trees