A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
Christmas gift ideas for our fellow teachers

Let's start a thread about affordable teacher gifts. I have 8 to buy this year! (4 team teachers, the 2 TA's I share, the tutor I share, and my mentor.)

I am not a cook, so cookies are out

I got the idea to order mouse pads with their names on them, but I can't find them, believe it or not...they're all ugly or tacky. I thought about VistaPrint, but their free ones aren't so great.

What ideas do you have?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 3 Other Jobs
Well, I think I know what NOT to get teachers anymore because they probably have tons of them already & are sick of getting them:

- candles
- Christmas ornaments
- stationary or note sets
- coffee mugs
- hot beverage packets
- soup mixes

I know there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
My "go to" gift, which is my "I don't know if anyone's getting me something so I have some stock gifts with me just in case Ineed to reciprocate" is a bag of spiced tea... it's a old family recipe (not really sure where mom got the recipe from, but it's been a staple in my house since I can remember)... it's a dry mix of tang, lemonade mix, instant tea, and some spices. I give that out with the recipe... sometimes in a mug or cute container, sometimes without. My mom also has a "fireside coffee" that's a mixture of hot cocolate and coffee and creamer. I'm not a coffee drinker, but it's still pretty good. Samples of each with te recipes attached make a nice gift
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarnet73 View Post
a bag of spiced tea... it's a old family recipe (not really sure where mom got the recipe from, but it's been a staple in my house since I can remember)... it's a dry mix of tang, lemonade mix, instant tea, and some spices.
We make that too. We call it Russian Tea.

From the perspective of the gift-getter, I really enjoy anything that lets me know that you were thinking about me...so anything works! Some of my favorite gifts are home-made treats, Christmas tea towels, and bookmarks. I don't particularly enjoy candy canes and cheap, nasty chocolates from the dollar store.

Last year I got everyone in my department a little Christmas kitchen towel/potholder/scrubber set.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I embroidery, so I give items that I made. This year it is kitchen towels.

One year I gave cookie mix in a jar. Last year I personalized insulated mugs for everyone with embroideried initials.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
I love the sand-art jar recipes for gifts...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sand-Ar...es/Detail.aspx

There was one on there for white chocolate cranberry cookies, but I can't find it right now. I've also seen hot chocolate jar mixes, too.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Devotee

Loving life and daring to live it!
Upper Elementary Teacher
I usually make buddy basket bars from Longaberger Baskets, but this year, I'm going to give out sweet and salty mix that a former parent at our school was famous for. Her kids no longer go to our school, but we miss her mix! It's so good....and I got the recipe from her.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Devotee

Loving life and daring to live it!
Upper Elementary Teacher
Of course by this time of the year, I just want some new, nice pens, and post its....as my supplies as just simply running out.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Companion

West Coast
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck8teacher View Post
Of course by this time of the year, I just want some new, nice pens, and post its....as my supplies as just simply running out.
OOHH Me too! I would love a refresher of all the cute stuf i get at the beginning of the year. I am down to the school-issued ball points and yellow stickies. I know everyone is different, but I love a fun pen and pretty note pads.

Or - a pre-holiday gift - a basket of fruit at the beginning of the month to help me stay away from the treats in the faculty room!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I like to give nice Thank you card sets since ours are all depleted after the Holidays I have also given photo ornaments, Kohl's sells them in sets of 3-4 for fairly cheap and then open the package and re-wrap!

Tags
christmas, fellow, gift, ideas, teachers