A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Other Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message. Click here for more info.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Interesting, TeacherJoe, and thanks.

snapdrygon, welcome to A to Z!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Rookie

UC Davis School of Education
MAT/Credential Candidate (2015)
Thanks teacherjoe! I just found this thread, and that is exactly a question I was going to pose. So far, the only online option I had found, granted, without much looking, was UCSD Extension's three week online course/exam, at $175, offered a number of times a year.
Your suggestion seems a bit more expedient. (And much cheaper.)

Is anybody aware of other online options?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Newcomer

California
Hennessey Book vs. Cullop Book - US Constit. Test

Hi there, I just heard Long Beach Uni. does not offer the US Constit. Test and I have signed up at Chapman. They use different books, do you think I can use the one I bought for the Long Beach site and still pass?

Thanks for the feedback....
Old 12-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Evidently Chapman uses the test that goes with Floyd Cullop's book Constitution of the US: An Introduction; CSULB used the test that goes with the Hennessy book. There will probably be a question or two in the test at Chapman that's geared to the emphases of the Cullop book, but I wouldn't expect much divergence (and bear in mind that passing is 38 correct out of 50). If you wanted to hedge bets, study well from the book you've got but see if you can locate a copy of the Cullop book and look it over before you test.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Newcomer

Napa, CA
High School Teacher
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but with all the spotty information on the US Constitution exam, this thread has become one of the top Google search results. I thought I'd help improve it by adding 2 recent available exam options in Southern California:

LA County Office of Education
(562) 922-6798
* $70 Cashier's Check made out to LACOE is the only form of payment, unfortunately
* You are allowed to bring 1 page of handwritten notes
* There is a study site that contains 110 questions, 72 of which will be on the test itself
* Located in Downey, CA
* Call ahead, test is offered any day M-F

UCLA Extension
(310) 825-4581
* $80
* Test offered on MONDAYS only @ 2:30PM
* Hennessey's book is the study guide
* 75 questions, true or false
* Located in Westwood

From what I have read, California just changed the US Constitution requirement in 2 ways:
1: The exam itself will no longer be accepted after Jan 1st, 2013. You will have to take an acceptable US Constitution course instead.
2: The US Constitution requirement has had its "due date" moved to "within your first 2 years of teaching" so it can be completed while you do BTSA.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Thanks for posting, and welcome to A to Z!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Newcomer

Orange County, CA
High School Teacher
Hi,

I have used this board so many times to gain information, pass my math csets and now to figure out how to take this history exam.

If "Shakethetree" gets this post, I'm curious what links they found out about the constitution test moving and course requirements. Can you post them?

Thank heaven for everyone on here!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
It turns out that ShakeTheTree's information is not quite correct. See http://www.ctc.ca.gov/notices/coded/2011/1101.pdf.

The short version is this: It will still be possible to fulfill the US Constitution requirement by examination. What is changing is that, starting in 2013, the examination - which must be a college-level examination - must now be taken "in" a university or college and meet that institution's standards for an exam suited to a two-semester-unit US constitution course.

I have "in" in quotation marks because the CTC document notes that a school district or county office of education may partner with a college or university to offer that college's or university's US constitution exam.

Online examinations that don't have this kind of college or university imprimatur will not be accepted.

Last edited by TeacherGroupie; 08-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Newcomer

Orange County, CA
High School Teacher
Thanks for clarification...makes sense. I ordered the Cullop book which goes with the test at Chapman. It is a fast read and its like reading something and saying "oh thats right!). I'm planning to make an appt. to take it right after Sept. CSETs which I'm trying to add physics to my math. Really love physics and would like to teach it one day. We'l see how it goes!

Back to Schaums College Physics prep (it all is coming back! Chapter 5!)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
People who notice "it all is coming back!" tend to do just fine on these exams, coach2learn.

Let us know how it goes, please.

Tags
constitution, exam