A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Not Getting Enough Subbing Jobs?

Most of us are notified of jobs via automated system, but what do you do when you don't get enough jobs?

I've been doing only speech & RSP jobs mainly for a long time, but recently returned to doing K-3. I've emailed the lady in charge of subs a couple of times, but I don't want to seem pushy or annoying about hardly getting work. I've even emailed ALL the teachers in 28 schools (district has 32 total), so they could request me next time. I hate that the power is held by 1 person who determines the amts of our paychecks! What do you guys do?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Devotee

If I were you (and judging from past posts, our situations are alike in a lot of ways), I would pay a visit to each school where I'm known/liked, and post a friendly letter/business card w/my picture somewhere incorporated, on the staff room bulletin board. And leave a card with the secretary too.

For me, I'm in two districts: one using aesop and one the old-school way. In the aesop district (which I happen to be getting called regularly lately), I've actually only worked one day this year. This is mainly because I always had work in the old-school district. But also, I'm not quite as well known in that district... but I think that if I did (do as above), I really do think I'd start to get more work. GL
Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
I was a sub in another tiny district as well, but it's been so long since I subbed there, they couldn't just reset me in the system. They said they were on a hiring freeze since last yr. So I'm out of luck there.

Regarding the main large district I'm with, I'm very slowly working at more schools again that I haven't been to in ages, so when I go, I have some typed notes that I leave in the teacher's mailboxes.

John Lee, it's frustrating in these tough economic times. Us subs really have to hustle just to grab one assignment.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
I just contacted a 3rd district I haven't been at in ages. I'm seeing if I can be reinstated.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Cohort

California
3rd Grade Teacher
I can't accept any sub assignments because of student teaching. Luckily, I still maintain contact with teachers at the school I regularly subbed at and they will be notified as soon as I'm available again.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. I View Post
Most of us are notified of jobs via automated system, but what do you do when you don't get enough jobs?

I've been doing only speech & RSP jobs mainly for a long time, but recently returned to doing K-3. I've emailed the lady in charge of subs a couple of times, but I don't want to seem pushy or annoying about hardly getting work. I've even emailed ALL the teachers in 28 schools (district has 32 total), so they could request me next time. I hate that the power is held by 1 person who determines the amts of our paychecks! What do you guys do?
Ms. I, have you considered teaching middle and/or high school? I started subbing about 5 years ago. Because I teach 4-5 grade, plus middle and high school I've always had more jobs than I wanted to do.....

Best of luck to you in finding more jobs......
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Thanks Major. No, I just don't want middle school or HS. The dist I sub for only goes up to 8th anyway. I will have worked all 5 days this wk (2 were at the speech clinic I'm at temporarily though). So far, I'm booked EVERY Th & EVERY Fri w/ jobs. Now I just need to fill up M, T, & W ea wk. (I'm still waiting to see if I can get that M-F long-term kinder job.)
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
How come you're doing regular ed now? I thought you were only doing speech assignments? I think it's good to do a little bit of everything, but I'm just curious what made you decide to go back to subbing general ed.

Oh, and when I subbed, I loved subbing for HS. It was usually a pretty easy day. I also, for the most part, really enjoyed middle school. I didn't think so, but every single assignment usually ended up being fun. I don't know why, but they seemed to really like me and respect me. I found that I HATED subbing at elementary schools. Heh....

When I was a sub, I was signed up to sub at 2 k-8 school districts, one high school district, and one alternative high school district (juvie, and two alternative high schools)<---- those were interesting days...

I worked every single day when I was a sub since I was signed up at so many schools. I was also constantly getting requests once my name got out that I wasn't an incompetent sub.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Peachy, I've returned to doing K-3 because I've only been getting a regular 1 day a wk job for one of the SLPs & maybe I'll get a 2nd day here & there. Well, that's not cutting it these days. I need to work a LOT more. I've had a few big expenses to pay that is mkg it hard to keep up w/ my usual other bills. I've even contacted 2 other districts I haven't subbed atin eons...that means I'm really desperate.

I'm trying to get this home-based money receiving program off the ground because when it really takes off, I no longer have to be in the work force...again!

Tags
jobs, subbing