A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 08-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Rookie

Maryland
homework for 2nd grade

I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind and how much homework do you give in second grade. I haven't taught second grade for a few years and this year I am teaching it again. I believe the students had spelling words each week and math homework almost every night. I wanted to find out what others gave for homework. Also in second grade did you give study guides/notes home to parents a week before tests saying what the students were going to have a test in and what day? I did this in 3rd grade when I taught but I don't remember doing it in 2nd grade. Any help would be wonderful.
Thank you!

Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 PM
nascarkat

I'm kinda revamping my homework this year. I teach 2nd grade, also. Another teacher and I each have 1 of 3 sets of twins in our classes this year and I asked her about her homework policy. She says she only gives homework on Wed. night (spelling) and it isn't due until Fri. She says she gives her kids plenty of time in class to get their work done. If they don't, they take it home and finish it there. I told her that I will do the same, but that I want my kids to read 15-20 minutes every night. She agreed and that is how we're going to do our homework. I like it better than what I've done in the past, so it may be my policy from now on.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Rookie

Maryland
Thank you nascarkat for the reply. One more thing, do you send home notes/study guides to parents telling them a week before a test is coming up?
Thanks!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
This fall is the start of my 7th year teaching 2nd grade. I send home their reading story every Wednesday to read to an adult, they study their spelling words at home during the week, and I try to send at least 1 quick math homework assignment too. We will also at times have science or social studies homework that requires parent help/input. Parents have told me they appreciate the homework, because it's a fast way for them to know what we are doing in the room and to see how their child is doing on the skills. Homework builds responsibility and most 2nd graders are ready.

Yes I send home a studyguide a few days before the test telling them when the test is too.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Rookie

IL
I also teach second grade. Usually, my students have some sort of quick phonics/spelling/word activity to do each night in addition to a quick math activity. They also need to read their current story to someone each night. (I use the Fountas & Pinnell Guided Reading model for my reading lessons, so the books are at each child's level and usually quick for them to read at home.) Given an appropriate homework setting, I would say that these things shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes total!

As far as study guides go, I started to introduce that toward the end of the year to gear up for third grade. We prepare study guides together and send them home to study, but not until spring. During the rest of the year, I feel this sort of activity isn't quite appropriate for my students. As a result, my assessments aren't generally things that students need to study for...

Overall, I keep in mind that they are basically first graders when they start... very dependent... and we work on building them into that independent third grade mode by the end of the year.

I hope this helps!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Cohort

Michigan
My second graders have one week to do a spelling homework assignment, they get two math assignments per week, with two nights to do each. Anything unfinished becomes homework-but for most, that is not much. I do make studyguides, and our parents ask for them. Also, we keep all the papers that have to do with the unit at school in a construction paper folder, and a few nights before the test we send home the whole packet-this way things aren't thrown away before the student gets a chance to study them. We also require students to read nightly and keep a log that we have provided them with.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Companion

Ohio
Unhappy

I am going to teach first grade and I have no idea about sending homework home. I thought maybe 2 simple assignments a week, but I am not sure. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:16 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
I student taught in 2nd grade... the kids were supposed to read and study spelling every night... their only "tests" per sea were their weekly spelling tests... but parents knew when, for instance, there would be a unit review, mental math review, etc... these were sort-of test grades, but i don't think they counted any more than a regular class assignment would (they didn't get grades anyway, only a check, check plus, or minus on their report cards)...

occasionally there would be a long-term project or papers they didn't finish in class (after having several opportunities to do so) or ones they needed to correct would be sent home... but there wasn't a great deal of homework.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Companion

Michigan
5th Grade Teacher
The general rule of thumb for homework is 10 minutes per night, per grade level. For example, 1st grade = 10 minutes, 2nd grade = 20 minutes, etc.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:07 AM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
Our parish policy on homework is to multiply the grade times 10 which would mean no more than 20 minutes homework for 2nd grade. I know that our second grade teachers send home a sheet every Monday with the homework for the week written on it. (Boy can I tell the difference teaching an upper grade, we don't know exactly what homework we'll have from day to day! ) The note isn't formal, in fact it is handwritten and all 3 teachers use the same letter. I know they do spelling words, math facts, and reading. I've only seen the letter a couple of times, so I don't remember exacts, but there was homework daily, even if it was just reviewing spelling and reading passages.

Tags
2nd, grade, homework