A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Sixth Grade

Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Companion

Middle School Teacher
Mountain Math

Our school has been tasked with finding a better way to progress monitor our students in math. The district currently uses AIMS WEB for reading, but we don't have access to the math portion of the program. Two suggestions we've been given is to use easycbm.com which is a free internet based progress monitoring tool and mountain math. I don't know much about either program. We seem to be leaning toward Mountain Math so I'd love to hear from those who use it!

Does anyone have insight on easycbm.com, Mountain Math or AIMSWEB math?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
We tried the AIMSweb math for a year, but then gave up on it. It works as a screener for students who are low in either computation or problem solving (depending which you buy). However, I think that we gave up on it because we wanted both...not really sure though.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Rookie

I've used mountain math....very cool, but very difficult for all students to see...basically a large bulletin board or pocket chart. With a class of 35, not so easy for all of them to see from one spot in the classroom. With that in mind, I took each problem and made it a powerpoint and used my LCD projector. The kids all use a standard list of questions, but the numbers put into those questions is what changes with mountain math, that's what I put on the powerpoint. I think there are 22 problems, so we would do 11 a day and do it four days a week. A great way to review concepts throughout the year.

Tags
math, mountain