A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 10-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Your Best Rigorous Reading Lesson

I need to submit a lesson plan/student work for my P to take to a meeting with his bosses representing our school-no pressure or anything . It has to be reading and it has to incorporate rigor. I'm usually really good at this (I teach a GT class for pete's sake) but at this moment I'm just can't decide what to use.

Any really good rigorous/relevant lessons in reading you're proud of? I can adapt it to my grade level.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Habitué

Indiana
Rigorous reading at my level usually involves locating information in a non-fiction text. Can you do something in this genre? We use graphic organizers with headings for various sections of the text and they find pertinent info about that topic to fill in the boxes/ovals below.

My favorite K lesson was on compare/contrast when we used hula hoops on the floor for our Venn Diagram...not too rigorous, though...unless you add a 3rd hoop maybe.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
When you say "rigorous," what does that entail?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Devotee

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnnn725 View Post
yes I am curious about this too...I'm not quote sure what that means in terms of lessons
Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnnn725 View Post
Guess that wasn't very specific, huh? Something with some depth to it, something that makes the kids really think.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Phenom

Asking thick questions, questions that require deep thinking. Are you familiar with Junior Great Books?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I have not heard of that Hoot Owl, but will definitely look into it-sounds interesting. Thank you.

I was just really panicking -it's weird because I try to plan lessons with rigor and relevance daily but when you are asked to do one on the spot and it's supposed to be "the best"-my mind just kind of drew a blank. Rigor is like our district buzzword this year.

I ended up going with a lesson on "Where the Wild Things Are". They compared this story to the Wizard of Oz (which I know is a strange comparison but the are both about a character that takes an unexpected journey and both have the same moral-there's no place like home). They did a pro/con activity with partners defending one side or another-whether or not the monsters were bad (incorporating ethics). They completed a Frayer Model with the word "wild" for vocab. Then I had them change the adjective "wild" to something else and retell the story-how did it change the details of the story (my favorite was "Where the Smelly Things Are" -Max wanted to come home a lot sooner in that version ). And to write from the perspective of the wild things. Hopefully it's what my P was looking for. The kids enjoyed it anyway.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
Well, that definitely sounds rigorous to me!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Habitué

Indiana
What a great lesson, KinderCowgirl - I am sure the P enjoyed it as well as the kids!

We use Thick Questions when we do Literature Circles.
Here is a link:

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bne...ck_or_thin.htm

Tags
lesson, reading, rigorous