A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 10-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
Help with new ideas for Homecoming

We need help We have done the same homecoming activities for the past 16 years (and probably longer, that's just how long I have been at my school) and we are finally ready to add some new activities.

Here's what we do currently on Wednesday night the week of Homecoming:

PowerPuff football between each class with the winners playing the female teachers during the pep session on Friday

Class tug of war again with the winners playing the teachers during the pep session

pumpkin toss

relay races

then finally the seniors light a huge bonfire they worked all day to build.

We have a great time, but boy it would be great to add some new ideas . . . . . any suggestions??

Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Companion

Illinois
High School Teacher
I have been running our homecoming spirit week for the past 5 years. I switch around the teacher vs. student game between football, soccer, and a game the kids made up. I change up the type of relay races we have, too. We do a carry-an-egg-on-a-spoon relay race, potato sack relay race, "suitcase" race (fill a suitcase with clothes, put on all the clothes, run, take off the clothes, other kid puts them on, etc.) and sport ball relay (carry inflatable basketball, football, volleyball, and soccer ball while wearing wrestling headgear; pass everything on to the next kid). We usually also have a "food" activity (how many Twinkies can a kid eat in X seconds, pie-eating, and find-the-gummy-worms-in-the-pudding are the most popular).

I also incorporate some of the games from the show "Minute to Win It." They're tough enough to be competitive, but cheap to supply (check out their website for directions to each game and what supplies are needed).

I teach all boys, so one of their favorites is the "car smash." I have a junkyard drop off an old car (they break out the windows so there's no glass). I take spray paint and write "crush the X's" or "pulverize the Y's" all over the car. Kids take turns hitting the car with a sledgehammer. They have to wear safety goggles and a football helmet to take a swing at the car. They just LOVE this one. We also get a dunk tank to "dunk the teachers"; they love when the principal gets in the dunk tank.

Since I'm at a high school, I realized that I only have to create games for 4 years and then I recycle them. They may be familiar to teachers, but since you have a new crop of kids every 4 years, the games are fresh for them.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Fanatic

PA
5th grade teacher
Our school does homecoming "skits" which are dance routines set to a theme. Each grade practices together after school and some make props for it. So it's sort of like a mini dance off. The students get really into it and it's a huge thing each year. We have almost 4,000 students and I'd say about 150 students per grade participate and a huge number come to watch the skits the night they're done, so it's not a school wide participation thing but definitely well received. And the students know the dance moves need to be kept appropriate or they're disqualified.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddygirl View Post
I have been running our homecoming spirit week for the past 5 years. I switch around the teacher vs. student game between football, soccer, and a game the kids made up. I change up the type of relay races we have, too. We do a carry-an-egg-on-a-spoon relay race, potato sack relay race, "suitcase" race (fill a suitcase with clothes, put on all the clothes, run, take off the clothes, other kid puts them on, etc.) and sport ball relay (carry inflatable basketball, football, volleyball, and soccer ball while wearing wrestling headgear; pass everything on to the next kid). We usually also have a "food" activity (how many Twinkies can a kid eat in X seconds, pie-eating, and find-the-gummy-worms-in-the-pudding are the most popular).

I also incorporate some of the games from the show "Minute to Win It." They're tough enough to be competitive, but cheap to supply (check out their website for directions to each game and what supplies are needed).

I teach all boys, so one of their favorites is the "car smash." I have a junkyard drop off an old car (they break out the windows so there's no glass). I take spray paint and write "crush the X's" or "pulverize the Y's" all over the car. Kids take turns hitting the car with a sledgehammer. They have to wear safety goggles and a football helmet to take a swing at the car. They just LOVE this one. We also get a dunk tank to "dunk the teachers"; they love when the principal gets in the dunk tank.

Since I'm at a high school, I realized that I only have to create games for 4 years and then I recycle them. They may be familiar to teachers, but since you have a new crop of kids every 4 years, the games are fresh for them.

These are AWESOME ideas Thanks so much for sharing I have added these to my list to present to our homecoming committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMar View Post
Our school does homecoming "skits" which are dance routines set to a theme. Each grade practices together after school and some make props for it. So it's sort of like a mini dance off. The students get really into it and it's a huge thing each year. We have almost 4,000 students and I'd say about 150 students per grade participate and a huge number come to watch the skits the night they're done, so it's not a school wide participation thing but definitely well received. And the students know the dance moves need to be kept appropriate or they're disqualified.
We do this for our winter/basketball homecoming. And like your school, it is a huge hit. We even do a teacher lip sync

Thanks again for your help

Tags
homecoming, ideas