A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Comrade

Maryland
Fun 1st Grade Activities With Cutting, Pasting, etc.

Hi!!!

I am just looking for some fun, cute, and education cutting and pasting activities my 1st graders can do!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
Hmmm... what is the focus? Gross or fine motor skills? Content related activities? Busy work (lol)? Community building activities?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
How about cutting out people, animals or whatever from magazines. They can reinforce these things and them glue them standing up to create 3-D creations of communities or theme related creations. e.g. Cut out wild animals, then use a shoe box for a diorama creation of wildlife, or maybe some zoo animals in a zoo creation. They can glue on other stuff; more cuttings, real objects or plastic things; for additional theme related enhancements! The sky is the limit for these kind of creations and they will be able to close the boxes for storage.
Rebel1
Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Comrade

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnnn725 View Post
Hmmm... what is the focus? Gross or fine motor skills? Content related activities? Busy work (lol)? Community building activities?
something fun, they love glue and scissors. I guess with either punctuation, compound words, sounds, poetry..I am just sick of giving them worksheets lol
Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Companion

Maryland
2nd Grade Teacher
Cutting and pasting works really well with sequencing activities in reading and math. Cutting and putting numbers in order, a greater than or less than sign so it's facing the right way, putting 2 and 4 part stories in order, etc,

You can also di it with phonics. Have them cut out pictures that start with a given letter/sound, or words that have short a in them, etc. and make a collage.

Mixed up sentences can be fun too. They need to look for the capital letter at the beginning and the punctuation at the end. The rest needs to make sense.

Cutting regions of the U.S. from an outline map and gluing them to make a full U.S. map (more fine motor...better for later in the year)

In science, they could cut out parts of a plant and paste them together to make a diagram. They could cut out pictures of different types of animals an glue them into the correct habitat picture.

Just a start...hope this gets your juices flowing. I'd love to read some other ideas!

Tags
1st, activities, cutting, fun, grade, pasting