A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Newcomer

Iowa
5th Grade Teacher
HMH Journeys Reading Program

Hey just curious if anyone is teaching Houghton Journeys Reading program. We adopted the book this year with no training. Was curious if anyone has ideas on how to teaching the small group reading. What I don't get is for Monday every student is to read the same book, yet only 6 books come with the set. It says students are to be reading the same book that the teacher is reading with students at the teacher table. What are students suppose to be doing when not with the teacher. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
We have journeys, however we do not use the basals. They are locked away somewhere. We got this adoption because Fountas and Pinnell was in on it somehow and for the leveled books so each teacher could put some in a leveled library in their room.
We were not trained... as we are to only use the leveled books.
I have no idea about 5th grade. Sorry.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
We have Journeys at my school and had a brief training. The way I understand it is you teach your whole-group instruction with the basal and your small groups with the leveled readers. I have two small groups times during the day that are 30 minutes each. I try to meet with my lowest group at least four days/week and my mid-level groups two days/week. My highest group I usually only see once a week. While I'm teaching small groups, my students are either doing silent, independent reading or working in reading stations. I'm not quite sure if a stations/centers approach would be age-appropriate for fifth grade, but independent reading definitely would.

Tags
hmh, journeys, program, reading