A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 08-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Newcomer

Illinois
3 Yr old curriculum

Hello I am new here. I was a Kdg teacher for 3 years and left to have my baby. But I just got a call from my old job asking me to come back to work doing a 3yr old half day pre-school. I have no idea what the curriculum for 3yr olds. Can someone please give me some ideas? I plan on doing some cooking, songs, independant play, show and tell, and crafts. Do you do monthly themes? How much detail do I give about learning numbers, letters, and colors. Any advice is appreciated!

Old 08-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Indiana
We work on the calendar using a days and months of the year song. We work on number rec. and counting while we figure out what the date is. We work on shapes, colors, name recognition, writing name and introduce the name of the letters. We work on table manners during snack, let the children pour their own drinks, sharing, using words to express your needs and feelings. We have an art experience every day. We sing for about 20 min everyday, using lots of finger plays for fine motor skills and crossing the mid-line of the body. We read a story or two everyday.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Former Pre-K and Elem. Teacher
I have 3 year olds and I do everything under the sun with them. I do letters, letter sounds, cutting, tracing letters and numbers, reading readiness, colors and shapes, cooking, art and crafts, counting, patterns, alphabet order and numerical ordering...I could go on. I challenge my kids because even though they aren't going to K next year, the children are only as smart as what they are exposed to. Half of my kids can already write their name, and they still have 2 more years of pre-k left. Not saying they are any "smarter" than the next child, but it doesn't hurt to challenge them...it keeps them interested.

I also go into dept about whatever theme we are doing for the two weeks. The last two weeks we did a solar system theme. They learned about the planet names, the order of which they were, what a constellation is, and other things. They know the sun is a big star and not a planet. Little things like that they are facinated by. Don't be afraid to engage their minds, the last thing the parents want is a "babysitter", they want a teacher. Good luck. If you need any suggestions, I'd be happy to help you out.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Newcomer

Illinois
Thanks so much you guys. JenPooh I may take you up on your help offer. I have a couple of questions already

What do they do in the am when they first come in to keep them busy? I have 15 min to take attendance before school officailly starts.

Normally how long should a lesson be? I know that their attention spans are shorter than my Kindergarteners.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
My first kid arrives at 7:30am and the rest at 8am right before we eat breakfast. Since my daycare and preschool is in my home, I have a bit of a different set up. I am guessing you wont be in your home, so your plans may vary slightly. My kids are allowed to watch Sesame Street until 8am since there are only two of them at that time. Then I turn off the tv and they just have free play until we eat breakfast. I usually limit what they can play with at that time (more quiet activities like puzzles, blocks, books, etc.). I use book and puzzle time as a transition twice throughout my day (after circle time while they take a potty break, and after lunch before they lay down for nap). A book and puzzle time upon arrival might work well for you if you only need to fill 15 minutes. You could also add a drawing and free art center during that time. I would keep it simple so they don't have a lot of clean up before lessons start (puzzles, books, crayons and paper, maybe table toys). This is a glimpse of their morning routine:

7:00am-8:20am: Arrival and Free Time (social development)

8:20am-8:30am: Wash Hands/Clean Up

8:30am-8:50am: Breakfast

8:50am-9:15am: Free Time

9:15am-9:20am: Transition to Circle Time

9:20am-9:45am: Circle Time and Bathroom Break (calendar observation, weather observation, language and literature, music and movement, Bible lessons, Spanish word of the week, sight word of the week) *bathroom break after circle time adjourns

9:45am-10:30am: Learning Centers (art, math, science/sensory/social studies/cooking, small motor, writing/letter recognition/reading readiness)

10:30am-10:40am: Clean up/get ready for outside time

10:40am-11:20am: Outside time

11:20am-11:30am: Clean up/Bathroom Break/Wash Hands

11:30am-12:00pm: Free Time

12:00pm-12:30pm: Lunch

My kids usually last about 10 minutes at each center, sometimes a little less depending on what it is, or a little more if it's an extensive art project. Today we did penny pick-up with tweezers and they all took two turns each because they loved it so much. I will usually just pay attention to when they are getting bored with it and make sure everyone gets a good enough time at each one. I also sometimes will leave these things out for the remainder of the week/theme for them to use during free play time. I try to do independant things, but some things we do in a group. Like the other day we did a planet order worksheet (I'm not big on worksheets, but this one was cute) and we did it together. They had to find the number I called out and find the planet to go with the number and paste it on.

We do 3 or 4 centers each day. Throughout my plans I list Art, Math, Physical Science/Social Science/Cooking, Small Motor, and Letter Recog./Reading Readiness. I do each of these centers 3 times a week at least (equals to 3 each day). If there is more to be done I will add an extra one here or there. I also repeat many things for them to get a grasp on what they need to learn (name tracing, letter and number tracing, cutting, etc.). During circle time we will review certain important facts. Like last week we finished up our solar system unit. We talked about the names of the planets every day and what number Earth was and that the sun was a big star, not a planet, etc. I usually have visuals with me to keep their attention focused. I also have a 3 ring binder that I change every unit and put pictures pertianing to our unit in there and place it in our book basket.

Besides our learning centers we also do our circle time, large motor, etc. Sorry this is so long, I had a lot to say. If you'd like more let me know. I'm a bucket full of information when it comes to this age!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
Hi Jen
I see you have a Spanish lesson. My kids at school have Spanish 3 days a week for 15min/day. Question for you........do you know of a good spanish web site for early ch.? Do you speak fluently? I feel a little awkward trying to follow up with Spanish.........I speak french and german(a little), but don't want to teach wrong pronunciations, etc. If you have some suggestions or websites, I'd appreciate it. The lady that teaches at our school is very old 84, and a bit cranky, so I don't want to bother her with it.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Newcomer

Illinois
Wow thanks! Very informative and helpful. Thanks for offering so much help. Im sure I will find more questions.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Groupie

Arizona
Homeschool teacher
don't forget buttoning, laceing, sorting. and patterns, I used a lot of those foam shapes for that.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Groupie

Arizona
Homeschool teacher
On enchanted learning website there are lots of spanish/english words. Colors, shapes, food, and other basic stuff.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkids
Hi Jen
I see you have a Spanish lesson. My kids at school have Spanish 3 days a week for 15min/day. Question for you........do you know of a good spanish web site for early ch.? Do you speak fluently? I feel a little awkward trying to follow up with Spanish.........I speak french and german(a little), but don't want to teach wrong pronunciations, etc. If you have some suggestions or websites, I'd appreciate it. The lady that teaches at our school is very old 84, and a bit cranky, so I don't want to bother her with it.
To be honest, I don't speak a single bit of fluent Spanish. I am so bad at it that I never finished the course in college. I started it in high school too, but just couldn't get the hang of it . I know some simple words, and that's actually what I teach the kids. We count in Spanish to whatever number our calender is and review our word of the day. I am also going to start teaching them the names of our months in Spanish. It's stuff that we use every day that would be easy for them to learn. Last week we did casa, this week is Si'. I do also give them many opportunities to use the word of the week throughout the day. I just teach them the basics, not really how to talk in complete Spanish sentences or anything. I would be afraid I'd teach them something offensive on accident . My husband actually speaks a bit of Spanish (not too badly) and I have a friend who went to college and majored in Spanish and speaks fluently so I go to one of them for information. I have also look at the enchanted learning website and have found that site to be helpful as well.

Sorry to hear about the cranky lady, that made me laugh when I read it .

Tags
curriculum