A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
5th grade (Catholic) religion?

This year I've volunteered to teach Julia's CCD class on Tuesday afternoons.

I'm not sure of the content yet; I'll pick up the stuff when the DRE returns from vacation.

Any great ideas/ projects/ anything that's worked well??

Old 08-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Cohort

Middle School Teacher
You can start off with the beatitudes, ten commandments, and 7 sacraments. I had my class create a book with the ten commandments, a comic strip with the 7 sacraments, etc. You can also do a mobile with a hanger for the beatitudes. Oh you can also do a plant with each commantment standing up. From when I taught 5th grade, its about sacraments so you can start with that.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Companion

North Alabama
2nd Grade Teacher
http://www.catholicmom.com/lesson_plan.htm I've found a lot of good stuff on this site.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Do good deeds around the church and community at Lent: beautifying the grounds, collecting for a food or clothing drive...the kids do like feeling that they are 'giving back'.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Companion

the city
3rd grade SC
I found make your own birdhouse churches at oriental trading for very cheap and had my 6th graders write on them and decorate.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Cohort

USA
the catholicmom site is a good site. this weekend I will look through my stuff from when I taught 5th and from when I was DRE and see what I can find.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Devotee

When I taught this grade level- I was doing fifth and sixth grades and our favorite lesson was on the saints- we dressed up and presented a little bit about our favorite saint. I gave a rubric and explained the criteria. You had to be dressed as the saint would be dressed, you needed to bring one physical symbol of your saint- something that the class could remember about the saint and relate it to the saint, and present 5 facts. Students also needed a poster board with some additional info that they were to present. Finally, they had to share why they picked that saint. This was about 6 years ago- I am currently doing confirmation and an adult group. So I am not exactly positive, but I think there was more to it. I had about 25 kids and I went first- I presented to and did all the same work as I expected them to do. The audience had a paper to write notes or comments and had to say something positive and note something they learned for each saint presentation- which I collected. This was also video-taped and that was really the highlight! It also happened to be on a particular saints feast day- so we ended with a little party with cake. I had my mother come in to volunteer to help as well as the ccd coordinator. We researched and selected our saint in class, in addition to working on it at home.

Another favorite was when we did our positive thinking round table. Each student had a paper and had to write one positive comment for each student next to the name- I took it home and typed it up for each individual to keep. It could not be a physical comment but more of a personal positive comment.
I loved that age group and teaching them ccd- it was perfect! Enjoy it!

Tags
5th, catholic, grade, religion