A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Devotee

United States
Primary Elementary Teacher
Gifts for Custodians

I'll admit I don't really talk to or show my full appreciation to the custodian staff.

Some say they do a lot but they get paid to do it.

I say us teachers do A LOT and get paid for it and I love when my parents show appreciation.

Has anyone ever done anything small, cheap, but special for the custodian staff?
Or had your whole class do something?

I feel that we don't appreciate them as much as we should. Now granted we have one person on the staff who does nothing and gets lost when anything needs to be done but hey...lol

Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Habitué

Elementary School Teacher
We pool money at Christmas and the end of the year to give to our custodians. We really appreciate the work that they do, and let them know it regularly.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Companion

5th Grade Teacher
I'm making cookies for them on Monday. They really went above and beyond with helping me set up my new room. I also do something at Christmas too.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Devotee

United States
Primary Elementary Teacher
My school does something small for them...so small I can't remember and maybe I am just assuming they did.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Rookie

Anyone who doesnt take care (and then some) of their custodians are short-sighted.
First, they are paid, but not well...and at least in our case, they are not paid to do all the extra things they do.

Secondly, taking care of them is simple math....they are more than happy to return the favor later when you need something. Plus, our custodians are great, love the kids, and bust their tails making the school look great for the kids.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Cohort

Michigan
We pool our money at Christmas to give a gift card to Lowes or Home Depot and even to a nice restaurant.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
At Christmas, each of the 10-12 teachers in the freshmen hallway throw in $10 or $20 for the custodian who does our hallway. Fred does an amazing job!!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Habitué

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10778 View Post
Anyone who doesnt take care (and then some) of their custodians are short-sighted.
First, they are paid, but not well...and at least in our case, they are not paid to do all the extra things they do.

Secondly, taking care of them is simple math....they are more than happy to return the favor later when you need something. Plus, our custodians are great, love the kids, and bust their tails making the school look great for the kids.
I agree. I was told in university that the best thing to do was to make friends with the custodial staff and the secretarial staff. They have the power to really make your year great or horrible. They are privy to a lot of information.

A few years back, the custodian in my room and I became 'friends'. I was always working late and he would come in and clean my room and we would chat. It was through him that I found out A) that I was getting a new student and B) that I had been hired on permanently. I miss Jim.

I don't do anything specific. No more than I would do for my other coworkers, however, I make a point to say hello, ask them about their day, their kids, etc. I also make a point to say THANK YOU regularly.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
All of our custodians are wonderful. Our custodians during the day are hired to clean the schools in the summer (wax the floors is the biggest job). They take such good care of our stuff and we really appreciate it. The first year we were in our building (this is year 5) we hired the company who does our night cleaning. It was a mess when we came back to school. I had things that were destroyed that they told us to leave out. I would have gladly packed it away if I knew what they were going to do with it.

Anyway, back to our day janitors. Now they do our floors in the summer. Whenever I'm ready to leave for the summer I leave a case of Pepsi and assortment of snacks (cookies, trail mix, etc...). They enjoy this little treat, and I know how hard they work. They are also more than happy to move the large furniture where we want it in the room. Simply draw a map of the room on the board and they'll put it there for you. They are so wonderful to our kiddos too. During the year we take a day to recognize them for all the hard work they do. The classes will make notes or cards for them to make sure they know we appreciate them.

The company that hires our evening janitors hired one of our secretaries' husband this past year. He does our floor (the 2nd floor) and is always super nice to us. I try to say hi to him everyday that I see him, and thank him for getting my trash. the school also hired him to do touch up painting this year, so we got to see him while we were here during the summer too.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
Our custodial staff is AMAZING!

At Christmas, we pool our money on our hallway for a gift card.

During the year, I make sure my custodian knows where the "good" candy is hidden and tell her to help herself. A little chocolate goes a long way

Tags
custodians, gifts