A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Rookie

TX
1st Grade Teacher
Individual Book Boxes

What do you use in your classroom for individual book boxes. I am going to have around 25 students this year and each will need a box. I don't want to spend a fortune on these. Anyone have any good/ cheap ideas?
thank you!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Comrade

North Carolina
2nd Grade Teacher
This was my first year doing book boxes...I used shoeboxes donated by parents...I know---tacky. But they served their purpose! If I don't have enough bins this year I'll have to do the same thing again. I didn't have time to cover the outside of the shoeboxes with pretty paper. Maybe I could get a parent to do it at home...?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Rookie

4th Grade Teacher
I use IKEA magazine holders. They come in a pack of 5 cardboard ones. They were the cheapest option I found. They have lasted 3 years except a few that had to be replaced.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
My first year teacing I bought the cheap cardboard ones. Our school actually got them for us through a office supply store for a great price.
Then I found reallygoodstuff.com! I bought a class set of the plastic ones, and this will be my 5th year using them. One of my best purchases ever made. They don't fall apart when students drop them or are rough on them.
Others have asked students/staff to send their empty cereal boxes to use for book boxes. I've also seen teachers buy the plastic drawers that have 5 drawers the same size. They have to buy 5 of them to get a class set. It takes up a lot of room though.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
I use the plastic really good stuff one. I believe they are 12 for $40. They last forever, though.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
We have an awesome "dollar" store called The 99+ Store and they have everything plastic a teacher could dream of. I have some plastic book boxes that cost 1.49 each.
In the past I used dollar store baskets with handles, however the handles break easily and the fall over easily.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
1st Grade Teacher
At a literacy workshop that I went to in the spring, they suggested having the children bring in a cereal box. Then, when they finish reading the books, they can read the box.
I don't have room for boxes, so I use gallon ziplock bags. They store them in their desks.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Companion

Virginia
5th Grade Teacher
I have used the plastic magazine holders from Really Good Stuff, however, I am getting small square one from the dollar tree this year, I got tired of the magazine holders falling over all of the time!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
This year I ordered plastic totes from Classroom Direct.

Last two years I used cereal boxes and massively duct taped them first. Worked pretty well.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
This year, I purchased a class set of vinyl (I think) Dr. Seuss bags at Target for $1 each. They aren't huge, but are large enough for a student to keep up to 4-5 books, and they are very cute!

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss

Tags
book, boxes, individual