A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Unbeknownst's Avatar
Unbeknownst Unbeknownst is offline
Cohort
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 615
Texas
Once Upon a Teacher
How to Turn In and Pass Out papers

I'm looking primarily for a secondary perspective here.

What's your system for having students turn in work?

What's your system for passing out work to students?
Reply With Quote

 
  #2  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Aliceacc's Avatar
Aliceacc Aliceacc is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 26,838
NEW YORK
Math teacher
From the beginning, I have the kids write their row number on the top of their papers as part of the heading.

To collect, I say "Pass up your papers please, and start the problem on the board" Then I walk from left to right. It takes under a minute to get 32- 40 papers.

If it's a full period test, I normally ask them to leave their papers on the first desk in their row on the way out.

To pass them back, I organize them by row numbers and just put them on the first desk before class starts. Kids come in and find their paper on the way to their seats. It doesn't take any class time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Unbeknownst's Avatar
Unbeknownst Unbeknownst is offline
Cohort
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 615
Texas
Once Upon a Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
From the beginning, I have the kids write their row number on the top of their papers as part of the heading.

To collect, I say "Pass up your papers please, and start the problem on the board" Then I walk from left to right. It takes under a minute to get 32- 40 papers.

If it's a full period test, I normally ask them to leave their papers on the first desk in their row on the way out.

To pass them back, I organize them by row numbers and just put them on the first desk before class starts. Kids come in and find their paper on the way to their seats. It doesn't take any class time.
Sounds good.

What about students seeing their classmates' grades? Is that an issue?

I've thought about something similar to what you just mentioned, but the grade thing always got in my way.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Aliceacc's Avatar
Aliceacc Aliceacc is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 26,838
NEW YORK
Math teacher
If I sense that a kid will be upset by his or her grade, I hold it and grab the kid on the way in. Or, if he or she suspects they didn't do well, they can stop by before homeroom and get the paper.

But the typical reaction to a test handed back is a universal chorus of "What did you get???" from everyone involved.

I think elementary school is different, but high school kids tend to be pretty open about this stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Brendan's Avatar
Brendan Brendan is offline
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,079
MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
My students are required to place their student number next to their name. I have a 2 student helpers for each week who are responsible for collecting work and passing out worksheets. They every day collect the assignments which are due, alphabetize them, clip them, and then on a stick note write which numbers and names did not turn anything in. They then place it in the "in-box" I have for that period.

For returned work each student has a mailbox folder and each class has a bin holding these folders. When I have a chance or when my TA does they file graded papers in the mailbox folder. At the beginning of each (when there are graded papers to return) the second student helper passes out the folders.

I also do a lot by the computer and we use turnitin.com for everything.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM
ku_alum's Avatar
ku_alum ku_alum is offline
Aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,375
Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
So much of what I/students do in the classroom is now digital; I don't have a lot of paper passing.

But, for papers ... I have a tray for each class period. Papers get passed to the side and I walk along and collect the piles and put them in the tray. For paper returns, I hand them back from the pile.

My classes never exceed 25 students, and we don't use much paper anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Maryhf's Avatar
Maryhf Maryhf is online now
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,476
Pennsylvania
Many teachers have success using a bin for students to put HW. I have a small room and don't really have the space for milling around, so I take the couple minutes to collect from each student. They need to pass the paper to the center of the row (I have a center aisle) and the center student double checks the pile for name. If HW isn't done, they pass in a "pink slip" that explains why it isn't done. I have a clipboard on my front table for each class with attendance and seating chart. Attached to the clipboard are the pink slips so I can remind a student (and I make note of the excuse of the day) and any test or quiz that needs to be made up. This way, if I don't get work corrected each night, a student's missing work doesn't go unnoticed. The system works for me but i don't know if I explained it well.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Unbeknownst's Avatar
Unbeknownst Unbeknownst is offline
Cohort
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 615
Texas
Once Upon a Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
My students are required to place their student number next to their name. I have a 2 student helpers for each week who are responsible for collecting work and passing out worksheets. They every day collect the assignments which are due, alphabetize them, clip them, and then on a stick note write which numbers and names did not turn anything in. They then place it in the "in-box" I have for that period.
I like this.

How do you assign student numbers? I'm thinking about having an alphabetized seating arrangement for the first six weeks and label each desk numerically.

Each successive six weeks we would draw for new seats, and the students' number would be their new seat number. I was thinking this would help facilitate alphabetizing and passing in/out papers.

How do you do it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Also~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I love the idea of two student workers. Could you walk me through how you make the decision which students help out?

Do any students get upset with the extra work?

And finally, do you have these student workers do their tasks during Bell Work? If so, are they excused for that week from bell work?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 AM
midwestteacher's Avatar
midwestteacher midwestteacher is offline
Habitué
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 782
Missouri
I have stacking plastic in/out boxes at the front of my room. They are labeled for each class period. This is where all work should be turned in. I am bad about laying things down and not realizing where I put them, so this works really well for me.
I don't have rows of desks, I have eight large tables and they are in a 2 by 4 configuration. If I stand at one end, I can reach 1/2 the tables and if I stand at the other end, I can reach the other half. It is actually quicker for me to return their papers by which side of the room they are sitting on rather than walking from one end of the room to the other. That helps with confidentiality issues.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Brendan's Avatar
Brendan Brendan is offline
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,079
MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeknownst View Post
I like this.

How do you assign student numbers? I'm thinking about having an alphabetized seating arrangement for the first six weeks and label each desk numerically.

Each successive six weeks we would draw for new seats, and the students' number would be their new seat number. I was thinking this would help facilitate alphabetizing and passing in/out papers.

How do you do it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Also~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I love the idea of two student workers. Could you walk me through how you make the decision which students help out?

Do any students get upset with the extra work?

And finally, do you have these student workers do their tasks during Bell Work? If so, are they excused for that week from bell work?

My student numbers are 2 parts period #-alpha number in my gradebook. So the first student in my first period would be 1-1.

For the student helpers I rotate every week in alpha order. If a student choses not to do it I skip over them. I don't do bell work, but if I did they would be excused.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
papers, pass, turn

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off







Mr. Rebates


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.