A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Companion

New York
Any ideas for first few weeks of preschool?

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what activities to do for the first few weeks of preschool. This is my first time being a preschool teacher and I'd love some tips on ways to start off the school year right. What activities could I do? I've gotten some great tips on this site from other teachers that suggested that I start the first week w/ freeplay and music and reading. How about after the children are settled in and are more at ease w/ being in school? What should I teach first? Should I start w/ letters, numbers, colors? How should I start? I've never worked w/ a preschool class before and I'm really nervous for some reason. I just want to do a good job and make sure the kids are learning. It's a 3-5 year old group, so activities will have to be modified. Some kids will already know the alphabet, colors, numbers, and for some it will be their first experience. PLEASE HELP!!!
THANKS!!!

Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Comrade

I'm doing a color and shape a week for the first 8 weeks of school. We are making collages, matching, sorting, lacing around shapes, etc..
Old 07-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Companion

New York
thanks for the tip. sounds great! any suggestions for modifications for different age levels?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Groupie

Arizona
Homeschool teacher
Once you get adjusted you should stick with your ruiteen so they can get used to what happens next. It will have to be a little flexable. I would start with your good mornings, circle time, read aloud, or song. Then do some sort of free play or center. Snack time, bathroom time. Then set up your lessons, with different ways of teaching numbers, colors, shapes, alphabet and name practice. If things get too wild have a quiet activity to switch to. Don't forget to add in time between each segment for clean up and give ample warnings when a free play or art session will end. I am not a preschool teacher. I can't give you specifics, but, I did teach my own kids. I hope my suggestions help some.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Novice

Ireland
I found this link through other thread. Hope u wil get some ideas. Itís a fantastic link.

http://www.littlegiraffes.com/
Old 07-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Companion

New York
yes, i actually checked out the littlegiraffes website. it's great! i love the footprints w/ the poem leading in to the classroom. I think I'm going to use that.
Thanks for all the pointers. I love this site. I just joined this week, and already I'm getting some great ideas and pointers!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Novice

Ireland
I joined only last week. I am enjoying my summer break. Back to school by September. I agree with you. Itís a very creative group.

Good luck with your first week
Old 07-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Rookie

Arizona
Routine is very important for the children. Less is more during your first few weeks. Introduce new items slowly. Read many, many books to them. Sing and dance, helping them understand their place in space. Explore the building by taking a field trip and seeing where the other children are. Help them learn the adult faces by introducing them to the secretary, director, custodian, and nearby teachers. Be very, very consistent with your rules. You aren't there to be their friend, you are there to be the teacher. Help them learn more about each other too. Do some activities that allow them to talk about their home. We also started our year books right away that 1st day (although it usually took a week or so to do it all) such as their handprint, recording their weight and height, writing their name (as best they could all by themselves) and drawing a picture of themselves. These stay at school, so be sure to let them make two so they can take one home. 1st week photos are really nice too so you can put them up where they can see them. If possible make them with their parent(s) or guardians. They love to go look at them.

Also, make a linear clock (using pictures) that help those anxious ones understand how much longer until their parent comes to get them. It can really help calm them. Parents can show them what "time" they will be coming and then you can help them locate it again if they become distressed.

Most of all, just let them know you think they are wonderful people.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Florida
Hi Buterfly,
I have always wondered why 3 -5 yr olds are grouped together ! There are big differences in what is age appropriate. Stick to a routine and make a pictorial chart dividing your day. Stick to it and use lots of tranistions...Use the same ones so the children will know what to expect. Even if a child "knows" his colors, numbers, shapes, concepts of less and more, etc, and alphabet letters, he may NOT really KNOW them.
Plan on the first few weeks to be a settling in time. The first 3 days will be crying days.....usually after 3 days it stops. Keep the children moving and involved. Do you have an assistant? How many children do you have in your class?
I think this is a pretty intelligent teacher's resource site....ask questions ! :-)
Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Newcomer

Washington, DC
New Teacher

Roselover:

I am a new teacher as well. I will be teaching just a 3 year old class. You were talking about those first three days as being mostly crying. Any advice with helping parents deal with this, or ways to calm the kids down. I have a cirriculm for the rest of the year - but am fairly nervous about those first few weeks of helping the children get into the routine. Any things I should expect those first few days?

Tags
ideas, preschool, weeks