A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > New Teachers Archives

Old 07-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Nebraska
multicultural interview questions

Does anyone have any ideas on how to answer multicultural interview questions. The questions I've been getting don't vary much but I'm just not sure I'm being specific enough. I find it touchy to answer in a public school system where its a fine line to celebrate certain holidays. I usually say something like that I would encourage my students to welcome, invite and learn from differences. I like for my students to talk about questions they they have openly. Good/Bad?? I was once asked how I would approach teaching a student of a different color. I was a little taken back by it so I made sure that they weren't gearing the question about a student of a different culture. I just said I wouldn't treat them differently at all unless i knew that their culture might be different than mine or any other student. I could tell by their faces that was the wrong answer. Any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Our society is becoming more and more diverse so it' s important to incorporate themes of respect and tolerance in our class lessons. We have much to learn from each other. It would be great to have students share traditions, have a multicultural fair....read literature featuring many ethnicities/traditions/cultures, explore how we are all really more ALIKE than different.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Comrade

Georgia
I specialize in urban education, I think that your approach to multicultural education is great but often timesthis topic can be confusing. The most ideal way to approach diversity within your classroom is to learn about your students culture and embrace it. If you have Korean students or Native American students it benifits the teacher and the student to researchthat culture. While you don't want to single out these students or treat them differently it is important torecognize and acknowledge their differences. Like the other teacher shared multicultural lessons that raise awareness and tolerence of different cultures is great. These studnets can very easily be ignored ad fade to the back ground. As their teacher you have to delicatley incorporate their culture into the classroom and make them fell comfortable. Make sure that you research their traditions and diversify the childs reading selection.

Make it a point to celebrate their diversity but not singling(sp) them out.
It may help to read some article and research on multicultural education.
Internet search James Banks he is the leading researcher in the field. I spent much of my undergraduate work studying his work. It makes all the difference!!!!! Good Luck!!! Remember-- mean what you and say what you mean.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Rookie

Nebraska
Thanks for replying! I'll keep these things in mind for my next interview!

Tags
interview, multicultural, questions