A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Novice

MD
Preschool Teacher
Can someone share their monthly/weekly newsletter to parents with me?

Hello fellow teachers,
Would anyone be willing to share a sample of one of their newsletters to the parents? Also, is it better to write the newsletter in paragraph form or in boxes with headings. I appreciate the help!

Jen

Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Comrade

Midwest
I do monthly newsletters. I have a few samples on my computer at home. When I get home, I'll post them.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Comrade

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
I made a template for my weekly newsletters with usually five boxes. It is informative, short, and interesting.
Box 1: header with class name, date, teachers and clip art.
Box 2: coming up dates/activities for parents to be aware of.
Box 3: focuses on language. I include a short review and image of our featured book, list other books, and provide the words to a song and/or finger play.
Box 4: highlights center activities from the week; for example I do not list play dough because it is always out, but I do put it in the newsletter when it is chocolate play dough.
Box 5: birthdays (name/photo); thank you's (volunteers/snacks); interesting websites; information I want the parents to have.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Comrade

North Dakota
Kindergarten
I do both a monthly calendar and a newsletter. The calendar has all the important dates (no school, picture day, library, etc,), birthdays, Focus story for the week, and the small group focus skills for each week. It also has a month at glance box with our focus skills for lit and math.

The newsletter is in paragraph form, each paragraph has clipart about the topic to help parents see at a glance (when is picture day? look for the camera).

If you pm me your e-mail address I would be happy to e-mail you some samples.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Comrade

Midwest

This was for my 3 year old class. The black out area at the bottom is where I put my number and email address. I also sign my newsletters in the white area about the number and email.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Groupie

New Hampshire
If you pm me I'll be glad to share a couple of different ones
Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I've done it a few different ways. This year I put it in narrative format. It reads more like a newspaper with stories in it. It relates to what we are doing in the classroom. For example, one week we were comparing wolf stories. We were doing text-to-text comparisons and talking about characters, setting, etc. My husband has a wolf costume so I had an aide dress up in a wolf costume and I dressed up in a police costume and we used it to enhance one of the readings. The kids enjoyed it. My title for that story in my newsletter was, "A Wolf has been Sighted at XYZschool!" I would send you the blurb from it but I'm staying in college dorms at the moment and don't have access to all my files.

The only problem with this format is you have to know your parents. This takes more room than a bulleted list would. Most of my newsletters this year (weekly) were two pages long. I only had 4 students and I know 3 out of 4 of the parents actively read them and responded to them at times. The other parent, I would send a small reminder via email for the important points because I knew this parent wasn't reading the newsletters.

So which is better? For a larger group, I probably wouldn't get too wordy. Parents don't always have the time to read them. BUT I did get high marks about my newsletter this year from my boss and from a parent on my story-telling style.

In the past I did it in kind of a mixed format but spent time making sure the page looked attractive. This year I barely focused on the graphics part of it but I did add some.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Here's the best part about how I did it this year.... I can literally print my newsletters out and know what my year looked like. I like referring to it better than my lesson plan book. I didn't do as well with keeping up with my lesson plan book as I did putting stuff in a newsletter. Also, some weeks I felt frustrated because I felt like we didn't do a lot and then I sit down and write the newsletter and suddenly I get really excited about the progress we really made throughout the week.

That brings me to another point. Some people do it at the beginning of the week and some at the end of the week. That's another consideration. Others do it monthly. I know one team does it quarterly. In our school younger grades are expected to do it weekly. Then it moves to monthly in mid-grades and then quarterly by 5th grade.

Tags
monthly or weekly, newsletter, parents, share