A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 07-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
Red face Help with Introduction Letter

Hey everyone! My name is Leah and I am a new teacher. Can anyone email an example of an introduction letter they use to the parents. I am starting my first year in 3rd grade and have no idea what to write. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Habitué

WA
3rd Grade Teacher
This is a letter that I sent out at the beginning of last year. I will have to modify it when that time comes because I have switched grade levels, but feel free to do what you'd like with it.

Andrea

September 2004

Dear Parents and Students,

Welcome to a new school year! I hope you enjoyed your summer vacation. I would like to take a few moments to introduce myself. My name is (insert name here) and I will be your child's teacher this school year. This is my third year teaching, my second year at (insert school here). I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in elementary education. As an educator, I value my job and the opportunity that I will have to teach your child the requirements he/she will need to complete by the end of this school year successfully. Your child’s success in my classroom is my number one priority.

Fourth Grade is a challenging year that asks students to not only increase his/her skills and knowledge, but to also independently demonstrate skills that he/she has acquired, explain the strategies that he/she used, and support his/her ideas with references from the text and other resources. Your child will be assigned a couple of major projects that he/she will be expected to complete at home. The Washington Assessment of Student Learning (WASL) is also this year. This is a test to evaluate the skills that your child has acquired to this point of his/her education.

The following syllabus will provide you with general information about our classroom and how I plan to teach your child. Please read it with your child, sign, and return the last page to school as soon as possible. This packet is a reference for you and your student. Please keep it in your child’s STAR binder and refer to it any time a question may arise.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at (insert phone number) or (insert email address here).

Sincerely,

(Your name)
attachments
Old 07-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Companion

Virginia
I really like the one that Andrea gave so I modified hers to fit my personality. There are a few other examples in the New Teacher forum you might take a look at.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:01 PM

Florida
August 12, 2004

Dear parents of fifth grade students,

Welcome to the new school year. It is going to be a great one, I am sure. I have been looking forward to teaching this wonderful group of children and have been planning all summer for their return.

Fifth grade is a bridge from elementary school to middle school. We gently help them along the journey to the increased expectations and self-reliance required in middle school. They seem to change so very much during this year.

The first big change to their schedules will be their inclusion in the early lunch period. Along with the 6th through 8th grade students, they will participate in a short daily assembly before eating and recess. Students who have not completed classroom or homework assignments will have the chance to make up their work at study hall during recess. It is important for students to arrive on time in the morning so they do not have to miss recess to make up first period class assignments.

In our classroom, we will be very busy with lots of hands-on activities, collaborative projects, creative writing, math and language games, and geography lessons. Working with fractions will be an important focus in math. This is one reason why mastery of basic multiplication and division facts is essential to progress. Daily reading at home will be expected, as will monthly book projects. All written work must be completed in cursive handwriting. Of course, each child will be working at his or her own level and that continues to be appropriate.

Students are expected to be in uniform attire every day. They may need a bit of reminding at first. We really don’t like to have to call home for a missing belt, etc. We are all very lucky to belong to Poinciana Day School. I truly believe in our approach to education and the benefits it brings to our students. Have you ever met a nicer bunch of kids? They make teaching here an absolute pleasure.

Regards,
Old 07-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
Thank you guys so much for the examples. I feel a little less stressed now!

Tags
introduction, letter