A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Cohort

United States
3rd Grade Teacher
How do you check homework?

This is my 3rd year teaching and I still am not satisfied with the way I check homework and I'm thinking of changing things for next year (sorry for the long post).

I am hoping that people can offer suggestions on ways to check students' homework without wasting a lot of time. I'm not checking for correct answers, just that is was completed. Here was my method earlier in the year:

The students arrive at 8:00 and they complete their morning warm-up. During that time I check to make sure that they completed the following:
1. reading log
2. math
3. spelling/and or some other language arts related activity
4. other- anything else that may have been assigned.

My problem with this method was that it wasn't until about 8:40 by the time I got started with language arts (this includes checking homework and correcting the morning warm-up.) Also, later that evening when I looked at the work more thoroughly, I would see that students did not always complete the assignment and then I would have to track that student down the next day to re-do.

To save time in my morning, I currently collect the homework without going around and checking it. Then, after school I check to make sure it was all turned in. The problem I'm experiencing with this method is that when students do not do the assignment, I have to remember to have them do it at recess the next day. Sometimes I forget...

Basically, what I would like to know is...
1. How do you check homework?
2. How do you check in a time effective way? My language arts time is from 8:00-10:00 and I really cannot waste this precious time.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Groupie

CA
6th Grade Teacher
In the first 10 minutes of class, the students begin their morning work (daily gram). During that time I do HW check. From the beginning of the year I go over very thoroughly what I expect...

I call the names of the students and they answer with either...
* "Yes" if they completed all of their homework
* "None" if they did none of it
* "No Math" if that was the only thing they didn't do
This is not a time for explanations or excuses. Its yes, no, or what is missing. Thats it.

If they are missing something, they go to the homework room during recess to finish it. As soon as they are done, they can go to recess. If they lie during homework check, its automatically a week of recess and lunch detention. No one lies.

We correct HW during that subject (math during math, etc) and I collect it then.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Novice

3rd Grade Teacher
i get my kids to all stand up. sometimes we do a yoga pose and they are completely still and quiet. I look throught the homework papers and call student names when i see their paper and they then sit down. My standing students didn't complete their homework. Works very well when just one thing is due...when it's more than one i get them to move somewhere else in the room while i check the second item (again calling their name when i see their paper, and they move accordingly)
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
I don't give a lot of written homework, but I check it by doing a quick scan before checking. It's not a perfect system, but I stick with it. I don't collect their homework, just see it at their desk.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Groupie

I only give homework in one subject most days. I find that a couple things happen with homework- either a kid doesn't get anyone to help him/her and does all the problems wrong, or a parent helps too much. I also find that families are VERY busy and it's difficult for them to take the time needed to do a good job on homework. For this reason, I don't put a lot of stock in homework- don't count it for a grade at all.

I take up folders in the morning and sort through them quickly, removing the homework, while students are working on the morning bell ringer. I have the folders numbered and quickly put them in number order before taking out homework- that way I can tell if a student's work is missing. I just scan the page and see if the work is complete. If it's missing or incomplete, I have the student do the work during recess. We "grade" homework together in class sometime after recess.

I also don't make long homework assignments. No more than 10 Math problems, usually. If they can't do 1, they can't do the other 49, you know?

I honestly think homework has only two purposes: teaching responsibility and getting help from parents when a student is struggling. Anything else is a waste of time. It's not a good indicator of a student's abilities- esp. if parents help too much, and it's not really the best time to practice skills- after school is out and everyone's just ready to home and relax...so I use it to teach responsibility. They know they need to be responsible for their homework- NOT their parents. And, occasionally, I use it to get the parents to see where their children are struggling and offer help.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast

TX
Going to land a new position!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmullenjr View Post
I call the names of the students and they answer with either...
* "Yes" if they completed all of their homework
* "None" if they did none of it
* "No Math" if that was the only thing they didn't do
This is not a time for explanations or excuses. Its yes, no, or what is missing. Thats it.

If they are missing something, they go to the homework room during recess to finish it. As soon as they are done, they can go to recess.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
This is pretty much my procedure, but I have a log sheet to record whether the students did the homework (this will be part of their "Work Habits" grade). And I don't do the checking -- one of my students checks to see if the homework has been done and records it in the log.

We also review the homework during class time.

This is the most popular job in my classroom, so all the students do a very good job
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Comrade

I just finished my second year of teaching and I have decided that I hate homework!! Next year I am doing homework packets so I only have to deal with it on Friday. If they don't turn it in on Friday then they go to study hall during fun Friday.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Newcomer

Primary Elementary Teacher
I agree with Queenie. I collect homework on Fridays. I don't give a grade. I will do a quick scan sometimes to see what was done, but that's about it. Homework to me, is a reinforcement of what has been done in class, but I think after working hard for 7 hours in school, kids deserve some relaxation. I don't want to take my work home with me everyday.

If you truly want to check it-how about giving that task to some of your more responsible students. Assign each child a number or letter and have them put that numbe/letterr on homework. Your "homework checker" can just quickly scan the pages and give a check or plus sign or an X or - on a chart.

Alternatively, you can set aside 10 minutes each day to quickly have students as a whole group check homework. If they have any answers that are incorrect, just circle them, write the correct answer and then move on to the next problem.

back to my soapbox:

Now that my daughter is in first grade, I see just how much effort has to go into completing homework. My son never had a problem, but DD is different. It's such an effort with her. I think homework is a form of communication between parent and teacher and child. If the child is struggling to complete the hw, then the parent should be questioning the teacher. Far too often, the homework becomes another assignment/chore for the parent to complete. Most of the students who can complete it independently aren't the ones who really need the extra practice.

I think hw is just one of those things parents just expect just like friday spelling tests. I like to give out packets on monday and have them returned on friday. That gives parents more flexibility to work around their evening schedules.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Groupie

CA
6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy99 View Post
This is pretty much my procedure, but I have a log sheet to record whether the students did the homework (this will be part of their "Work Habits" grade). And I don't do the checking -- one of my students checks to see if the homework has been done and records it in the log.

We also review the homework during class time.

This is the most popular job in my classroom, so all the students do a very good job
I kind of like the idea of having it as a job.

I also no NOT give a lot of homework. They are supposed to read 20 minutes per night, but there is no way to prove that. I give Math homework most nights, but like Queenie its minimal, usually odd (out of 16-20 problems).
Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
About 2 months ago, I started having it as a classroom job to "check in" homework. (I'm in a Christian school, and I also have to listen to memory work during this time.) I have a clipboard, and the helper calls each student over to put their homework in the baskets. They then check it off on a clipboard, and report to me if anyone is missing things. Added bonus--all work stays in ABC order, making it easy for me to note who was absent, etc. The downside is that either they keep things we're going to check in class or I have to hand them back. msmullenjr, I like your system. I might have to do something like that next year...

Tags
check, homework