A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Companion

1st Grade Teacher
1st grade daily five

Do you use the daily five in your classroom? Do you find it effective? By what point in the year for 1st graders is it actually up and running smoothly? Any tips?

Thanks for your responses!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Fanatic

Connecticut
3rd Grade Teacher
I use pieces of the Daily 5 and really love it. The best part is using the I-Charts to anchor reading behaviors. In the beginning of the year I follow the start up that they lay out in the book and it is really quite effective. Having kids model and practice and repeat the behaviors of what read to self, read to someone, listen to reading etc look like and sound like is GREAT! We practice for atleast the first 6 weeks building our reading stamina and stopping as soon as your barometer child starts to "lose it". I also use the check in at the end of each round and it really helps for them to self assess. I do not end up using it as exactly as they spell out in the book, but to put it lightly, it has made a HUGE impact in the children's desire to read and has greatly impacted the number of disruptions I get when conferencing and doing guided reading! I recommend it highly.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Habitué

2/3 Split
I use D5 in my 1/2 classroom (next year 1/2/3 for language arts block). It really depends on your students on when you're up and running. Sometimes a certain group needs more stamina work than other groups. This is my third year with D5. I had one year where the students were ready to go with all the dailies mid-October, one year where they were reading the end of October and one year where they STILL were working on stamina mid-December with many times of me pulling them back as a group. Even the group that took so long to really get stamina down *did* get it down- I had 90 minutes of uninterrupted time at the end of the year for testing as they were all on-task doing quality reading activities.

This is also my second year of using CAFE. I love, love, LOVE these programs. My students are passionate about reading (even the ones who struggle), they have the tools to make themselves better readers, they take responsibility for their own learning in a way I didn't know early elementary students were capable of doing.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Newcomer

California
Reading Teacher
Go slow with the Daily 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeach22 View Post
Do you use the daily five in your classroom? Do you find it effective? By what point in the year for 1st graders is it actually up and running smoothly? Any tips?

Thanks for your responses!
I just went to a training on the Daily 5 and one of the presenters was a super experienced teacher. She said it took her class twenty solid days in the beginning of the year to set the routines. Also, because she does writers workshop an hour a day she didn't add the writing until the middle of the year. If you are just starting out, just choose two areas to implement.
Roberta
Teacher/trainer for over 20 years
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Companion

Texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
I have used D5 for several years now. It's great. You do need to create and use the I anchor charts with your students. Model, model, model. Practice, practice, practice. It does take time to set routines but it is so worth it. You definately need to read The Daily 5 book.

Tags
1st, daily, grade