A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Private School Teachers

Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Novice

CA
Your teaching load in high school?

I just got my teaching load for the next year:
Per. 1 AMC10 & 12
Per. 2 IB Math HL with AP Calculus BC
Per. 3 IB Math SL with AP Calculus AB
Per. 4 Algebra II (H)
Per. 5 Precalculus (H)
Per. 6 Algebra II (R)
Per. 7 Preparation
Per. 8 Physics (H)

So, essentially there are 8 periods a day. I have to teach 7 periods a day in an independent private school.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Connoisseur

Louisiana
CHEMISTRY
I teach 6 periods in a 7 period day. I have 2 sections each of Physics (H), Physics (R), and Physical Science (H).
Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
My schedule varies a little from day to day.

I teach my 4 core classes (Algebra I, and 3 sections of Geometry Honors) every day.

Algebra has a double period every other day. On the days it doesn't (in theory) I have an SAT prep instead.

I also have a study hall every day, as well as an "on call period" in which I could be asked to cover any class in the building.

I have at least lunch and one prep period off every single day. If I don't get a sub, I also have that period free.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Multitudinous

I currently teach 7 periods plus one prep on an 8-period rotating block. Our schedule is changing next year to a 6-period straight schedule, so I'll be teaching 5 periods plus one prep.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
We have 5-70 minute periods/day. With a trimester schedule. Typical classes are 2 trimesters with freshman English and Math courses, AP, and SPED courses being all year. Most teachers have four classes and one prep per day. However, as the Department Chair I teach three. Typically each teacher has 2-3 preps. For example, my friend teaches Western Civilization I Honors, Western Civ CP, and then Issue in Asia. While I typically teach Western Civilization I Honors, US I Honors, and APUSH. Honestly, as department chair I pick up the left over classes each year and this is what they always tend to be (well except AP; which no one wants to teach).
Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Novice

CA
Thanks for sharing your teaching load information.

Yesterday, I was told that I got released of teaching the Physics (H). But I'll teach IB Physics and AP Physics a year later.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Comrade

Hi! I'm curious - why is your school going from a block to a "regular" 6 period day? Did they give you any reasons? I'd love to do this where I teach, but need more reasons to use to try to convince people (smile!)
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
Hi! I'm curious - why is your school going from a block to a "regular" 6 period day? Did they give you any reasons? I'd love to do this where I teach, but need more reasons to use to try to convince people (smile!)
Are you asking me?

Our schedule is changing because it saves money. The block schedule is expensive. By eliminating it, we lose about 10-15 teaching positions, which equals lots of $$$.

I think it also cuts down on the number of electives offered, since students have only 6 classes instead of 8. They can focus more on core classes and credit retrieval, which is what needs to happen at my school (we have low test scores).
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Multitudinous

Oh, and also it means that we see our students waaaaay more over the course of the year.

On an 8-period rotating block, students have 7,650 minutes of seat time. That's 90 class meetings times 85 minutes per class meeting.

On a 6-period straight schedule, students have 9,900 minutes of seat time. That's 180 class meetings times 55 minutes per class meeting.

I think that adds up to an additional 37+ hours of instructional time per year. That's pretty incredible. Think of what you can teach in 37 hours!!

Tags
high, load, school, teaching