A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Other Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message. Click here for more info.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Comrade

Virginia
Special Education Teacher
I can't pass the VRA ( virginia reading assessment) HELP!!!

hi,

I am trying to become a special education teacher/ elementary school teacher. I passed the VCLA the first time I took it. but I have taken the VRA 4 times and failed it- is that normal? I feel very dumb, however, I was wondering if the test was difficult to other people, if not how did you study for the test? How many times did you fail it? what study material did you use?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
In your other post, you ask about what section of the Praxis is most easy to pass and now you are having difficulty passing this test. What is your educational background? Did your teacher prep program not prepare you well for these tests? You may want to get some study materials and 'brush up' before re-taking the test. I'm not sure about the VRA, but on some other assessments, they average the scores if you take a test many times so it's difficult to overcome multiple failures.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I doubt VRA averages over multiple attempts. But threads on other states' reading-instruction tests, notably California's RICA, may be helpful.

Last edited by TeacherGroupie; 05-02-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typos (how embarrassing...)
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
OK, found this:
An individual may retake any VCLA subtest or VRA test as many times as necessary until a passing score or passing status is achieved. The highest score earned on a VCLA subtest will be used to determine the total test score, regardless of when earned.

There are test blueprints, study guides and sample tests available at:

http://www.va.nesinc.com/index.asp
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
Sorry to hear about your testing results. If it makes you feel any better, I have taken it 3 times as well. I will be taking it again next month. I have been studying the flashcards for the past couple of days, so I hope that this will help. I didnt study the 1st time I took the test and received a higher score than I did with studying the last 2 times. Good Luck to you and believe me there are many more who are in our position. Blessings!!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Make sure you have the technical terminology in reading down cold. Try Googling "reading glossary": that should bring up some useful Web sites.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
I found a couple resources. I can't post links b/c I'm new but if you google the following key words, you might be able to find them.

"Vocabulary quiz, Virginia reading assessment". You'll get some links to practice quizzes, some by Quia, which I use in my classroom to practice for SOLs. Helpful for brushing up on terminology.

I have also heard some horror stories about the VRA. I just took my VCLA today and though I didn't do as well as I thought I should have, I still passed (unofficially). I have a couple years of teaching experience under my belt and think that this might help me out a bit on the VRA test when I take it, but I'm a REALLY bad test taker. It really is what the test-makers want you to put, and not what you necessarily think. I over analyze and use "if" too much when I try to eliminate the last wrong answer.

I wish you all luck on your next attempts. Please put any other tips you can on this page! After reading your thoughts, I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into with this test *sobs*.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Virginia
Va Tchr, like u had teaching experience by me when I took the VRA and I still did not pass it. I have taken the VRA about 5 time and will be taken it agian this month and by the grace of God I will be taking it for the last time.

For Teacher girl and Typhani there is a VRA study guide out that you can get a Barns and Noble for about 60$. Howere it might be better to go online and order it because I think there are two different books. I hope this helps and Teacher girl no you are not dumb, this test is just that hard. God Bless
Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Devotee

United States
Primary Elementary Teacher
I take it this weekend for the first time. You guys are scaring me. I have not studied at all.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANewbie View Post
I take it this weekend for the first time. You guys are scaring me. I have not studied at all.
What ever you do, do not go in there scared.

Tags
assessment, pass, reading, virginia, vra