A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Comrade

Florida
Question I need help with 'end of day' procedures

The rest of the day goes pretty smoothly (most of the time) but I have never gotten a handle on procedures for the end of the day! We have staggered dismissal. I just hate those last 10 minutes or so of the day...it seems like no matter what I have tried it just feels like chaos...and of course that is a time that parents tend to pop in to pick up their kids. I hope they don't think the whole day is like that! At the end of the day I need the kids to pack up their backpacks and clean up their area. Some kids (usually just one or two) leave at first bell, some leave about 5 minutes later and then others 5 minutes after that. Any tips on maintaining control would be appreciated!!

Old 06-28-2005, 09:34 PM

Florida
I would probably have them all ready by the first bell and then play games with them until all are dismissed.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
Like Updaisy said I get mine all ready before the 1st group leaves. We will play I-Spy, the quiet game (they love it), sometimes we will just talk about what they are going to do that afternoon and so on. If time I might read a short story or play a rhyming game.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Comrade

TX/USA
That would be a good time to review the day. Have students "pair-share" with a buddy what they learned in math, science, language, etc. Then pick a few to share out loud.

You could also have spelling words posted and practice those. My kids like to "cheer" their words or write them in the air together with a leader coming to the front. Play "sparkle" with your spelling or vocabulary words.

You could also make lists. (orally or on paper) Such as... list foods that start with "A", list the holidays, list as many presidents as you can, list animals with tails, etc. I have a long list of these topics posted at my door for those times when we need a little something to do.

Create an oral never-ending story. All students stand. Teacher gives first word (such as "Once"), then you go around and each student adds a word to the story. They have 5 seconds to say an appropriate word or they have to sit down. This keeps the kids quiet because they have to listen to the words before them so that they can say a word that will make sense. My students love this game!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Comrade

Florida
GREAT IDEA! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcdade
That would be a good time to review the day. Have students "pair-share" with a buddy what they learned in math, science, language, etc. Then pick a few to share out loud.
Sometimes I just have to smack my head "WHY didn't I think of that!" lol
I used to do a weekly 'newsletter' called ASK ME ABOUT. It was just quick notes that the kids told me to write down about what we had talked about that week. Then I copied it and sent it home. The parents really liked it as it literally told them what to ask their kids about school that week. I dropped it as i just never had time to work on it, but that last few minutes of the day would be perfect! Thanks! (I copied your other ideas too...I know I need an arsenal of ideas! )
Old 06-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Comrade

Florida
What is your version of the quiet game? We sometimes play one while waiting in line, but I have seen teachers do severl variations.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
Oh when we play they have to be quiet and I try and trick them by talking to them they think it is hysterical.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
Children's Quiz... they get a catergory and a letter, and they try to come up with as many items that fit the category that begin with the specified letter... when I play, they all have to raise their hands, and their answer doesn't count until they're called on... but you need to have an answer when you're called on! And we try not to repeat answers. The kids really get into it, and they get really creative!

We also like to play "if you ___, you may line up," and we'd pick a different kid each day or each week to decide the order... if you are wearing gym shoes, if you are NOT wearing white socks, if you're a Boy Scout, if you ride the bus, if you made a __ in art today, it's endless!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 PM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
I have several mad lib books and the kids LOVE them. They are easy to do and give the kids practice in parts of speech. I'll read Shel Silverstein and other poems then (I don't read our chapter book, there's a 15+ minute span between 1st kids leaving and last). The kids also like to play hangman or battleship.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:07 AM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Where I student taught we had the same problem. The first busses would start being called at 2:05 (or so) and then the regular dismissal time is 2:32 so it's a long period of time. We had a meeting and decided that file folder games would be a good idea. The principal was very concerned about teachers not using the last half-hour effectively and just letting the students do "whatever." I think any type of game that would keep them seated and relatively quiet would work since you've really only got 10 mins at the end to worry about.

Tags
day, end, procedures