A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Companion

5th Grade Teacher
Playroom Suggestions

Hello,

I am in the process of creating a playroom for my 10 month old son. The room will be in our basement which is finished and is wide open. I would like to section off an area that is his space but need suggestions on how to do this without it looking tacky. Any other playroom thoughts are welcome as this is my first! Thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
Can you use furniture to section off an area? I would use a sofa as a divider. Do you want to "fence" off an area or just define an area? If you want to fence it off, you can use some toy shelves for dividers.

What to put in the room? The goal for a toddler is interaction with his environment. Give him lot of things to explore. Lots of dump and fill--as simple at a bucket and some balls. He will dump and you will fill. Some blocks to explore. Some roll toys--trucks and cars. Some dress up--at least something with a handle like a lunch pail, and some hats.

Someplace soft--a big pillow or a crib mattress with sheet on the floor. A basket of books to encourage some quiet time.

Just a few suggestions. I think that as you start setting this up, ideas will come to you. But, if you need more, just ask.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I think the most important barrier, at least in the beginning, will be the one in front of the stairs. I'm not sure there is a way to make that really safe without a gate.

When my son was little, we bought an little area rug that had a picture of roads on it. I'm sure you've seen it. He LOVED that rug-- he played with his cars and trucks for days on end. When he got tired of it, we simply picked it up and threw it out.

(Kind of like these http://kidcarpet.com/category.php?cI...FR895QodOVCNzA but we got the $20 Babies R Us version.)
Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Companion

5th Grade Teacher
I was thinking that the furniture option would be the best way to define the area. I already have a gate for the stairs and I love the rug idea! Thanks!

Tags
playroom, suggestions