A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Habitué

OH
Mathematics Professor
qualifying Praxis scores will be based on a candidate's overall GPA

What do you think about this...

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...uirements/8638
"As of January 1, 2010, qualifying Praxis scores will be based on a candidate's overall GPA. Please review the following chart to determine qualifying Praxis scores based on GPA:"

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...art%204_10.xls

Old 04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Companion

North Carolina
High School Special Education
I like the idea... It rewards the students who work at their GPA. I hear that a lot of states will be changing the Praxis requirements in the near future. On another note; here in N.C most all colleges required students in an Education program to take and pass the Praxis 1 before taking any 400 level classes and now they are doing away with this requirement. Private colleges are still holding on to this standard for now.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Little City on the Prairie
Former math teacher
I don't know. I'm on the fence with this one.

On the one hand, some people do really well in classes, but not so well on "high stakes" tests. This takes some of the pressure off of those people.

On the other hand, how do you ensure that some colleges or professors don't make it easier to get higher grades so their students can qualify for the lower score requirement? I think some of the purpose of these types of exams is to help ensure that colleges are teaching at similar levels. How do you keep Joe's College of Easy A's from dumbing down their standards?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Habitué

OH
Mathematics Professor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmswm View Post
On the other hand, how do you ensure that some colleges or professors don't make it easier to get higher grades so their students can qualify for the lower score requirement? I think some of the purpose of these types of exams is to help ensure that colleges are teaching at similar levels. How do you keep Joe's College of Easy A's from dumbing down their standards?
That is one of the problems I have with the new policy. Grade inflation is already a problem at a lot of institutions. In addition (since is it overall GPA) what if you take a bunch of hard electives and I take the easiest classes I can find to fulfill my elective requirements.

Also, your GPA is only taken into account when you apply for your license. So if you have a 3.8 GPA and take the exam as a junior and you only pass by a few points should you schedule to retake the exam or are you going to hold out to see if you can maintain your 3.8.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:55 PM

Little City on the Prairie
Former math teacher
The thing that came to mind when I read that was a situation with the School of Nursing at the University of Miami. UM is NOT cheap. You would expect that their standards are high, yet, their nursing school was put on probation several years ago because the percentage of their graduates who passed the nursing boards was well below the national average. Now, these students had decent GPA's, but they still weren't passing a standardized exam. The failure rate indicated a problem with the school. Without something to ensure that every school was teaching to a minimum standard, what does GPA really mean?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Companion

Utah
4th Grade Teacher
This concerns me as well, as I excelled on my Praxis Exam. (I got one of those nice certificate) However I attended WGU, whose competence based program gives no grades and a pass is worth 3.0, In which case I would have barely passed the test.

Maybe the answer is to use both. Figure out a way to merge the 2 into a qualifying score of some sort.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Cohort

WAIT!
So will my old score that failed by one point now qualify?!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Cohort

Nevermind...this is PA
Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Cohort

Have you taken the middle school science?
It was insanely hard.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Cohort

I scored a 156 without studying, but still found it insanely difficult. One of my essays asked me to find what elements I had by listing their half life. I bet who ever my response had a nice laugh.

I think GPA should be a factor though because I missed passing by 1 point.

Tags
based, candidate, gpa, praxis, qualifying, scores