A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Novice

3rd Grade Teacher
How Full is your Bucket?

Anyone read/used the book "How full is your bucket" by Tom Rath with your class? ("Have you filled a bucket today" is the same idea.)

My class has really enjoyed discussion and related activities, except for one 8 year old boy who shouts out that 'the imaginary bucket isn't real...the idea is stupid...doesn't work....etc'. I've pulled him aside to help him with specifics about how he feels when people are nice to him vs mean to him. He agrees that he enjoys getting compliments and he feels good, but wont accept that a put-down to someone else dips into his own bucket as well as the other person's. Ideas?!!

Any activities you do with this book or concept? It's near the end of the year, but we're doing a unit on friendship so it's fitting in nice...next year I'll read the book asap!

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
I just discovered that book a little while back and read it with my 4th graders. At first they thought it was a little silly, but we started talking about what it meant and how they felt when things started going bad during the day. It led to some really good discussions. We have bucket (supposed to be an easter basket,but it works! ) where visitors leave us notes and a seperate special bucket where kids leave notes for each other. When they see someone fill someone else's bucket (or someone fills their bucket) they write a note and put in the bucket. I will pull them from time to time and read them. They asked about telling when someone dipped in their bucket and I let them write those notes, too. They don't name names, just things like "Someone dipped in my bucket when they laughed at my new haircut." We have had some really nice talks coming from those notes and they will still make comments about it.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Comrade

United States
3rd Grade Teacher
I have heard quite a bit about this book lately. I think we are going to do a school wide study with the adult and child version. I am glad to see it is really working for you guys and can't wait to try it next year.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Connoisseur

California
Kindergarten Teacher
I think it's a great book. It was read to us in a college course.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Comrade

Southern State
I used Have You Filled a Bucket Today in my kindergarten class and have had a lot of success with it. I laminated buckets (coloring page) and I give them a raindrop on their bucket when I notice them doing something kind. When they get 10 raindrops they get to get one thing out of the bucket-PTA approved $200 for me to buy things to go in it-books, puzzles, etc. We also have a class bucket. When we get 12 raindrops (by getting compliments in the hall, etc.) I bring a bucket of ice cream for a little celebration. I have really enjoyed using this in my class this year. They really take the message to heart.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
We did a book study last year with the adult version. Our principal bought every classroom the children's version at the beginning of the year. After reading the book, I put up a picture of the book on the wall, and a small bucket in front of it. Inside the bucket are little drops that the students can write on. They put the name of the student that the drop is for on the top line, and write a comment to help fill their bucket. On Friday I pass out all the drops that are in our class bucket.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Habitué

Elementary School Teacher
I attach manila envelopes along the front of the classroom, one per child.

I tape a picture of a bucket with the child's name underneath to the envelope.

At the end of each day, we verbally appreciate each other. It is a great way to have a calm end to the day. Only those students who are packed up and sitting up nicely are called on to appreciate another student. The other student also must be packed up and sitting up nicely. This is great incentive for students to get ready quickly and quietly.

They say things like: I appreciate Semaj for helping me with my math today. Or I appreciate Lucy for sitting with me at lunch and playing with me at recess.

Then the student who appreciated Lucy gets a paper strip from a coffee can I keep at the front of the room that says: You are a bucket filler, great job! and puts it in Lucy's bucket. I tell her: Lucy filled your bucket today, now you can fill hers.

They LOVE this. If I notice that someone's bucket has no strips in it, I tell the class to be on the lookout for good things that those students are doing. I call on anyone who can appreciate those students first.

At the end of a period of time, say a month, I tell the class that I will take out all of their strips and put them back in the coffee can, counting how many each person has. I tell them I like to see who is filling other people's buckets. In reality, I don't count, I just fill the coffee can up again.

This activity boosts class morale way up. Children often come to me during the day saying, "Can I fill so and so's bucket? They just helped me do my work." It's a wonderful thing, really.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
Bumping up this thread. I'm working on ideas to implement this more in my classroom next year.
Bucket Fillers has a lot of ideas, lessons, and resources to help you use this in your school.

Right now I'm working on an interactive bulletin board. Part of it will be focussing on the kids being each other's bucket fillers, but another part will focus on staff members. We'll pick a staff member of the week (or group of staff members to get them all in) to fill their bucket.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
Past AtoZ threads on the subject:
http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/s...ad.php?t=89420
http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/s...ad.php?t=76064
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by treysmom View Post
I used Have You Filled a Bucket Today in my kindergarten class and have had a lot of success with it. I laminated buckets (coloring page) and I give them a raindrop on their bucket when I notice them doing something kind. When they get 10 raindrops they get to get one thing out of the bucket-PTA approved $200 for me to buy things to go in it-books, puzzles, etc. We also have a class bucket. When we get 12 raindrops (by getting compliments in the hall, etc.) I bring a bucket of ice cream for a little celebration. I have really enjoyed using this in my class this year. They really take the message to heart.
Neat! I like that!

Tags
bucket, full