A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 06-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Comrade

TX/USA
Question Need Hands On reading and math activities

Hi! I will be teaching summer school for third grade in July. We've been told not to use paper and pencil activities (worksheets), but rather to plan hands on activities with manipulatives, etc. The focus is on increasing reading comprehension and mastery of basic third grade math skills. Any interactive ideas? Thanks!

Old 06-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Fanatic

Kansas
Petunia

Buy a beach ball at the Dollar Store and mark off sections. Write math facts in the sections. Use add, sub, times, write across, up and down and etc. Or make one ball for addition, another for multiplication and etc. Students stand in a circle and toss ball to one another. Where ever the right thumb is when the catcher catches the ball, they say the fact and answer and toss to another player and sit down until all players have a chance to catch and answer. My two best rewards are STICKERS, stickers and more stickers. And gumballs from a gumball machine. Buy at the Dollar Store cheap. Have a great summer school session.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Novice

northeast
You can use that beach ball for reading too. I have one that says tell me the characters, setting, what was your favorite part, what happened at the beginning, middle and end. I got it at a teacher supply store. Also for reading is a literature circle - reading and then very interactice since the kids take over the lesson. Good luck and have fun
Old 06-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
For reading I would suggest using reader's theatre; there are lots of scripts out there, but it is easy to make your own. Pick an interesting section of a story or book you have all read; make copies for every student and assign parts ( I sometimes have more than 1 narrator if it is a large part). Depending on the students you can highlight their part, or have them figure out which character says what (good review of dialogue and quotation marks). I usually skip costumes, but may do simple props and the kids can draw a background on large chart paper.
For math you could come up with simple to make center activities: area restaurant menus and play money, etc. I also like card games to review math concepts - MegaFun Card Game Math by Scholastic is good.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Newcomer

California
Word Study

I have started a word study program in my resource program. I work with students of all levels, and this program allows differentiating. I used the books, Words Their Way , and All Sorts of Sorts , for developing my program. Depending on the level of the students, I have students working on beginning/ending sounds, blends, digraphs, prefixes, suffixes, etc. Each student has a spiral notebook that they do their written activities in. I have different activities that they can choose from: sentences, pictures to illustrate the word, definitions, parts of speech, synonyms, etc. I can give you more specifics if you want. e-mail me directly-
Old 06-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Devotee

Nevada
2nd Grade Teacher
I made some fun math manipulatives when I was student teaching. I took different colored paper circles and glued them to the top of popsicle sticks. Then, I wrote a number on each one. The students love using these because they are a little something different. (They kind of look like lolipops). They can be used for all sorts of math activities. I usually have the students sit in a circle so they can be easily passed around, and then have them use them for any sort of activity. Saying whether the number is prime or composite, coming up with math problems with this as the answer (use any operation), is the number even or odd, etc. They really liven up regular math practice.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Comrade

TX/USA
Thanks Steph! I can definitely use that idea!!
Keep the great ideas coming everyone!!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Companion

Manitoba, Canada
I did a unit on measurement in my grade three class for student teaching this year and I used these ideas from PBS online:

Bubble Mania: Students are given opportunities to practice measurement skills as they examine a soap bubble print. Students follow a recipe to make a soap bubble solution. They use the soapy solution to blow large bubbles with a plastic drinking straw until they pop leaving behind a circular print. Students find the diameter, circumference, and area of the bubble print.

and

It Takes Ten: Students review the importance and use of standard units of measure. The basic units of metric measure are reinforced in a song titled, "It Takes Ten". Students are immersed in activity based learning as they move from station to station estimating and measuring length, volume, weight, and area. At each station students first estimate, measure, and then compute the difference between the two. They estimate and measure marbles to the nearest gram and squeeze water-saturated sponges to practice measuring in milliliters. Students practice linear measurement estimation skills by throwing cotton balls and rolling toy cars. Students determine if they are a square or a rectangle by measuring and comparing arm span and height. Finally, each student determines the area of his/her foot by counting and computing the area by constructing a rectangle to approximate the area.

These were great fun and we had a blast doing them!

Hope these help
Old 06-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Devotee

Ontario, Canada
Middle School Teacher
For measurement, I had my grade 3 students go outside in groups with metre sticks and measure the perimeter of things outside, be it fence sections, wood divider surrounding play structures, hopscotch outline on cement, etc... Theyt had to take the measurements of each individual side and then show the number sentence to figure out the perimeter. When they came in they worked with their measurements to also find the area.

Something else I did was pair up students and give them each a longish section of ribbon or string. In pairs they had to decide on their estimation of the length of the ribbon/string and then we recorded each pair's estimation on the board. Then they had to actually measure it and compare the measurement with their estimation. They really enjoyed that one too. There was a bit of a competitive edge to see who's estimation was closest that helped to make things interesting.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Newcomer

California
Thanks so much!

Tags
activities, hands, math, reading