A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Upstate New York
Elementary Teacher
How to impress school principal?

I am currently a subsitute teacher and have a 5 minute meeting tomorrow with the elementary school principal to introduce myself.

What are some things I can ask her that will show my interest in education or their school?

I'm not going to have time to show my profile and don't want to be shoving things like that in her face in the little time that I do have.

It can be anything...like suggestions for organizations to become a part of or summer jobs, etc. I need some help brainstroming. I really appreciate all of your help!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
Ask what you can do to help the school--volunteer an hour or two a couple of times a week to come in and read with struggling students, run an after school homework club, etc.
Ask if you can come into the school to observe some of their exemplary teachers at a variety of grade levels.
Ask what language and math curricula the school uses so that you can familiarize yourself with them.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
First, dress the part of a professional.

Secondly, I agree with Mrs. C.: ask how you can be more of a help. In these days of cutbacks, I would imagine that schools could use all the help they can get.

Observations are a great idea-- you become a familiar face, and you get to see a huge number of teaching styles.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Rookie

IL
4th Grade Teacher
Let her know your intentions. Tell her how much you enjoyed substituting in the school and feel like the school is the kind of home that you looking for. Since you have an intimate knowledge of what the school culture is like, you know that your personality would mesh well with the professionals that you have had the opportunity of teaching alongside. Let her know that you are flexible, get along well with people, and are motivated to continue your professional learning. Offering your services as a volunteer would def be an added bonus. GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Rookie

Upstate New York
Elementary Teacher
These are some great ideas! Thanks also for all of your help!

Tags
impress, principal, school