A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Companion

1st Grade Teacher
Resume help...needed by a first year teacher!

Hello, if you are reading this, thank you for taking the time to do so! I am a current first year teacher, teaching PreK. I am applying to a school district for a Kindergarten position, but I am unsure of what "college" material now needs to be on my resume. For example, would professional organizations, service activities, student teaching need to be on there anymore?

What do you include on your resume?

I have so far my objective, education, honors, certification, professional teaching experience, professional development....but now I'm unsure of what should be added as I am no longer a college student but a teacher!

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Rookie

AK/CA/OR
K/1/2/5
I'm sure you've done the "google-search" of teacher resume examples to view inspirations. There are SO many opinions about what to include. I really don't think there's one right answer. My first resume (right after student teaching) looks completely different than my current resume (now that I've had several years of experience). And each resume landed me multiple interviews (proving that principals value all sorts of resumes!)

Currently, my resume is only one page (that's important IMO), but I think that if you have room you should definitely include the items you mentioned. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with including "professional organizations, service activities, student teaching, honors," and so on.

This is a glimpse of what mine looks like...

Objective
Dedicated, creative teacher seeking a classroom teaching position.
Summary of Qualifications
• Three years of fulltime teaching experience in grades K and 2 with the "Blank" District
• Student teaching experience in grade 5
• Highly Qualified to teach multiple subjects in grades K-6, based on Praxis II test & score
Certification
• Professional Teacher Certificate, grade levels K-8 (State of "Blank") valid until January 2014
Education
• University Name, degree, date
Professional Teaching Experience
School Name, position, dates
Then I neatly wrote a list of things that I accomplished, such as:
• Coordinated “writing buddies” with an older class to create a setting where students could dictate short stories and sentences to older students for the purpose of seeing their words and ideas in print
• Facilitated the making and use of student-made books based on classroom and seasonal themes
• Always used positive reinforcement as a motivator for improving students’ conduct
• Led integrated graphing activities that allowed students to harmonize math with art and language arts
• Promoted and maintained regular and meaningful communications with parents via phone calls, conferences, progress reports, and weekly newsletters
(plus several others...) Please let me know if you'd like any other help.

Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
OP-- You have a year of real teaching experience. That's incredibly important. It shows that you've been able to take all those ideas learned in college and actually put them into practice.

Highlight all the successes you've had this year!!! They put you miles ahead of other applicants who aren't yet sure of how they'll actually do on their own in a classroom!!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I might include the student teaching-school, year and grade levels-especially if it pertains to the grade level you are looking for, but I think the service organizations, etc. from college are not relevant unless you are still working for them. I agree with Alice your current work experience is probably what will get you noticed.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Companion

1st Grade Teacher
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it...Up North thank you for sharing your sample, I am trying to keep my resume to a page now...it was 2 pages after graduating. Now off to the cover letter...I need to find something to make me stand out!

Tags
helpneeded, resume, teacher, year