A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Orlando, Florida
Student Teacher
Private Tutoring Rates?

I was curious...how much is a decent rate to be paid as a private tutor?

I am currently a semester away from graduating with my Bachelor's in Elementary Education and obtaining my Florida Teacher Certification. Right now I am in my internship and have had many experiences with students of all ages and grades, probably around 300+ hours. I am also a member of Kappa Delta Pi and other student organizations for future teachers. What is a good rate to charge per hour or per session for as a private tutor?

Thanks in advance! :]

Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
In my area, the going rate is $65-70 per hour. I'm in NYC suburbs. Most who tutor in that range have several years of experience, masters' degrees. If a tutor has specialized certification (Orton Gillingham, for instance), they can make substantially more.

Since you have not yet graduated, you may want to start at about 1/2 of what seasoned professionals in your area are making. HS students in my area charge about $10 per hour...(not my competition-mostly homework help kind of stuff)
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Rookie

CA, USA
Child Care Site Director K-6
When I was in college earning my B.A. in Child Psych I did some private tutoring and earned $19.00 and hour, granted that was about 8 years ago. Hope that helps!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Habitué

Texas
Fifth Science
Congrats on finishing up! My private school parents pay $65/hr for tutoring- certified teacher with coursework, experience, or degree in content area.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Companion

NJ
High School Teacher
yup...$60-80 an hour sounds right...

I did 60 for the first kid, 40 for the second and 20 for a third.

$120 and hour! First parent always found the others for me so it would be cheaper for them. lol
Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Habitué

Indiana
I think it depends on where you live. In my rural area, experienced teachers charge about $25-35 for an hour session. They wouldn't have any clients if they charged $60-80, but my sister lives in DFW area and pays that much...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Devotee

wow, New York is another planet or something. I'm about to give this a try, and I'll charge $20 an hour.

I'm a little confused as to how to start though.
Any tips/advice?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Rookie

NJ
What are you worth?

Babysitters charge more than $10/hour these days so a teacher with a degree in education should certainly be charging what their services are worth. Doctors, lawyers, and other professionals charge for their services and teachers should too. If you charge less you are essentially saying your service isn't worth that much. Remember that you are not only charging for the time spent with the student but also for the planning of the lesson and preparation of any necessary materials. Any parent that goes to a tutoring center will be charged at least $50/hour for their child to be at a table with other students. Just something to think about...

Tags
private, rates, tutoring