A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Rookie

Australia
1st Grade Teacher
Disruptive student

Hi everyone,
Last week i started my first ever teaching position. I took over a Year 3/4 class four weeks into the school term and having problems with one student in particular.
This student is very disruptive in class, constantly calling out, swearing at other students and making rude comments, pushing other students, refusing to do work etc etc.
I have implemented the school behaviour plan but find that it doesn't work with this student, he simple doesn't care when he gets in trouble. It seems to me as though he is looking for attention, whether it be good or bad. I have tried ignoring him but the behaviour will just escalate until i HAVE to acknowledge it.

I am hoping for some suggestions or tips, things i can try with this student to hopefully improve his behaviour! If u have any similar stories i would appreciate u sharing as i am very new to this and will take all the help i can get!
Sorry this is so long, its been a stressful day! Thanks in advance

Old 03-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Groupie

2nd Grade Teacher
I ask my students who are like this to step out into the hall. I tell them that it is inappropriate to do these things and will not tolerate it. We talk about the reasons why they are doing this. Then I tell them that I know they are capable and have high expectations for their behavior. Once they get it together I praise them for it. If they are still acting up then I would remove the child from the group for him/her to get themselves together. I use buddy teachers. Make sure you call the parents. They are our partners!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
Sometimes I try to give these students leadership roles in the classroom. They become my "helper". They hand out papers, write on the board for me, run errands, etc. Often times this is enough recognition for them that the poor behaviors begin to decrease.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Cohort

Texas
Once Upon a Teacher
Also, ignoring it will always lead to worse behavior. Every student "tests" you to see how far they can go with you, and they only stop at the point that you make them stop.

Make them stop at the BEGINNING of the process, and you can avoid most of the problem escalations.

However, removing the child from class of the behavior persists is good advice. Your students should feel safe in your classroom.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Newcomer

Arkansas
Disruptive student are definitely a handful. The was this student sounds he is begging for attention. Ignoring him will not make him stop. I might suggest calling on him more, or asking him more questions about the subject. Keep him occupied, and included in the class discussions. He might feel less likely to disrupt class if he feels included in the class. He might be acting out because of his grades, maybe he doesn't understand the material. Which could be the reason he acting out more than paying attention.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Habitué

Substitute Teacher
I would definitely find out if the parents know. Is this new behavior or has he been like this in the past at school? Perhaps something is happening at home. Also you will be able to see if the parents are will to support you or not. Sadly, there are parents who either don't care or may not know what to do. Hopefully you have a supportive parent. Are the admin involved? I think that is important for you to have that support also.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Newcomer

it sounds like this student is needing attention and he/she does not know how to get it the right way. you should talk with this student and see how things are going with in general it maybe that they are having trouble at home or at school or both. and then again the student my have ADD. i know that it is hard but try and be patient and find out the root cause.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Cohort

Chloe G, hopefully by now you have some kind of handle on your situation, but in case you don't I think the key is identifying the root of the behaviour. It's not unusual to find children with autistic range disorders, ADHD, abuse issues and so on, and knowing something about these things will help you craft solutions. And- do your own research! Don't rely on the diagnosis of someone else- family physicians, school counselors, district psychologists- they are all often wrong about these things. Take in what they tell you, but don't swallow it whole.

Tags
disruptive, student