A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Montessori Archives

Old 01-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Newcomer

Texas
Yes...I was referring to Julie C...sorry if you thought I meant you I was just really hoping she was not talking about toddlers. I agree...about moving as a group at all ages.

Enjoy your day... :0)

Old 01-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Novice

Dublin Ireland
Yeah our kids are in the 3-6 age group. In Primary school here you are expected to what you are told and when - it's very hard on a child to move straight to that from an environment where they have complete control. I don't force the kids to sit at a table and complete the group activity, rather say "this is what we are all doing now, if you don't want to, you are free to go do somthing at a different space, but we would like you to join in". I feel that this will encourage kids to be part of group activity, which they will be expected to partake in Junior infants.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Newcomer

Texas

Have a great week!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Newcomer

fl
not a teacher

I agree with your thought that the babies are expected to do so much but once they are in the higher grades they begin to fall short of that expectation. I am extremely worried about sending my 2 year old daughter to school. I am worried that she will be subject to the rules and regulations of the Florida school system and regulatory body for daycares and private schools and I am worried about the impersonal aspect of school. I want to teach her at home but I want to make sure she gets the education she deserves. I will have to rely on forums like this and other homeschooling resources. What i was really looking for was a clear cut technique and daily schedule for her. I have heard that the more regimented their day is then the better they do with discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqboo
It is sad that so much is expected form such little people these days. We keep pushing and pushing for more from them because "so much of the brain is developed by the age of five". Someone who makes the "rules" for children has decided that if we don't stuff everything possible into their brains by 5 then they cannot learn anything more. I find it quite interesting that as we have become more obsessed with pushing more onto our children, the educational status of the United States continues to decline.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Newcomer

Pennsylvania
Hello, I am a new teacher as well as a new Montessori teacher. And I am really nervous about my first few weeks of school! All of your posts have helped me calm down a little. Please keep coming with the ideas! I need all the ones I can get!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Comrade

Newteach, What age group will you be teaching? There is a book called "A Teacher's Bag of Tricks" by Greg Nelson. He gives wonderful advice and points on working in a Montessori classroom. Email me and I will give you the ordering information. Hopefully, you have checked out all the Montessori and Montessori "like" links. There is a wealth of information that will be useful as you begin your Montessori career. Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
Reading at a young age

I am interested in the worksheets and reading work that you do with your toddlers. I do not send home homework, but I do have many children who know their letter sounds and can write some letters. I still encourage a lot of practical life, but I was wondering what you were using to encourage reading. It sounds interesting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminem
I asked myself that same question when I started this job. The children have amazed me with what they can do at such a young age. Now as I begin a new year with new and younger students I am again asking myself that question.

Last year we did a worksheet in class everyday. This year I am going to start with two worksheets in class a week because the children are younger. So there was a lot to choose from to send home for homework.

It depends on the child. I send:

*tracing homework( different types of lines, numbers, shapes etc)
*math worksheets (counting objects-circle correct number, put numbers in order, match the numbers etc.)
*worksheets dealing with concepts such as same/different, matching colors and shapes etc.
*Also homework dealing with the sight words they have learned. The school I work for has develop their own books for these young children to "read". We have two years old reading more than twenty words and reading them in sentences. It's really amazing. They all progress at their own pace.

I usually try to send language arts two times a week and mathematics once a week. As I said it really depends on the child. The homework I send is something they know how to do on their own.(they have completed the same worksheet or one similar to it in class) All the parents do is explain the work to the child, encourage them, and give guidance as needed

Tags
montessoritoddler, room