A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Cohort

California, United States
Kindergarten Teacher
I need an idea on Valentine mailboxes

Does anyone have any ideas for cute Valentine mailboxes for my Valentine's Day party? I went on Oriental Express, but they all seem so complicated to put together.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Groupie

Texas
The easiest Valentine card holders are made with white paper lunch bags. You can see a picture on my Valentine Page. The BEST Valentine holders we ever made were with Quaker oatmeal boxes, you can also see a picture at the link above.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Cohort

Illinois
Preschool/Kindergarten
We also do the lunch bags and decorate them. I buy the white ones and give the kids stickers and hearts to decorate their bags.

Another idea is to take two white paper plates cut one in half and staple the half to the whole plate in a way to make a pocket. We then put a piece of string to be able to hang them up and decorate them.

I like the bags better because they can hold more.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Devotee

ME
Came looking for ideas not with any of my own... so thanks for asking the question for me.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
I do the bags, too. I think this year I may have them make little heart people to glue on the bag: cut out a heart, draw a face on it, and zig zag strips of paper for legs and arms. Kind of like this, but smaller so they can fit on the bag:
http://preschoolpalace.org/images/he...on%20image.JPG
Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Connoisseur

Ohio
Another vote for the bags. Soooo much easier than covering shoeboxes or whatnot. I use the white lunch bags and the purple ones sometimes. The kids love cutting out hearts (for many of them it's the first time and we have some very "interesting" hearts decorating the bags). Then I just tape the bags along chalk trays or shelving in my classroom so it's easy to drop the cards in them.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Florida
Use two heavy cardboard type paper plates. Cut one in half at the middle and use one half for the front of the V holder. Staple it, face down, to another plate that is the back of the V holder. Kids can decorate however you want them to. If you use a lot of staples, none of the small valentines will fall out. You can punch a hold at the top, tie a ribbon and hang them. Or just set them on a ledge somewhere.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Novice

I use cereal boxes and cut off the top. I cover them in colored contact paper and let the kids decorate them with stickers, foam and other assorted Valentine things. I like these because they are sturdy and work well if you have kids bringing in Valentine's with little treats attached.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Plastic gallon milk jugs-my son made one in first or second grade. An adult would have to cut a large opening (hole) - cutting the 'neck' of the bottle off and extending the opening so you have a large hole. The kids decorated by gluing paper hearts, stickers on the jug. You could line up on a table or hang from yarn/ribbon threaded through handle. There's one with a giraffe theme here:
http://www.littlegiraffes.com/valentines.html
Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Devotee

Northern New Jersey
On a mission for fairness
I ordered white gift bags, with handles on them on Ebay, I wanted nice sturdy bags, then we are going to colorl, sticker or paint them.

Tags
idea, mailboxes, valentine