A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Cohort

Tennessee
3rd Grade Teacher
Back to School After Christmas Break

Anyone here do something special for your kids after you some back from Christmas break?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Companion

South Carolina
High School English
Not really...I ease back into things, though. I know this upcoming week will be a little rough for me as well, so I try not to go too hard on them right after a break!

I teach an honors class that finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird and tested on it right before break, so we'll be watching the movie this week and doing some activities with it.

My other classes are starting on new units, so notes and into activities for them.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
I say "Good morning, I'm Mr. dfleming... I will be your teacher for the rest of the year while Mrs. Smith is off going to school herself. I'm so excited for everything we're going to learn together! Let's get started"

Or something like that.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
"It's great to see you all! Here are your essays and stories that I marked over the holidays. You all need to have a book for independent reading this week and you have a reading journal due this week." I'll do a writing mini-lesson on apostrophes (they made a lot of mistakes with this) and they'll do an entry in their writing journal. We need to hit the ground running.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Umm, we are going to take writer's workshop on a more formal level SO I told my kids they get special writing tools when they come back from the break. I told them they already get presents before the holidays so I was saving this for after the holidays. They ate that up.

Basically I am giving them cute plastic tote boxes that stack with their own pencil boxes inside (that we haven't used because we have community supplies) filled with new colored pencils, decorative pencils, pencil erase toppers and the pink kind and pencil grips. Then I am putting a nicer folder in there (translation: plastic not as easy to destruct kind). Then they will have 2 new trays. One is for new journal paper and the other is for finished work. Nothing else goes in these trays. This paper was introduced to them right before the break. It is special too. It's just paper I got from a school I observed. It's almost identical to what they were already doing but loose leaf and a box that defines the drawing area. We will review the writing process including the editing part I just taught before the break. Then I will break out the cool official writing tools they just got. They have become good readers. We have a space for guided reading and a space for independent reading. Now we have to have tools and space for becoming authors. We studied Eric Carle so I will point out his studio and how he had all his writing and illustration tools organized and set up ahead of time. We will talk about how to take care of their tools. Then I will let them go "play" with them as they do their first entry with their new box.

Is that the kind of thing you were thinking of? Hehe.

There is a teacher that cracks me up because she has her kids thinking that spelling activities is actually rest time. They get a blanket, the lights are slightly dimmed and they lay on the floor for a specified timer time. The kids ASK for the rest time. They do the work and look forward to it but they think they are resting. They are quiet too! That's an added bonus.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Cohort

Tennessee
3rd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfleming View Post
I say "Good morning, I'm Mr. dfleming... I will be your teacher for the rest of the year while Mrs. Smith is off going to school herself. I'm so excited for everything we're going to learn together! Let's get started"

Or something like that.
Sounds nice.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Cohort

Tennessee
3rd Grade Teacher
It's funny how we convince kids to do some things.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Groupie

2nd Grade Teacher
We are going to practice procedures and review what we learned the 2 days before break. I'm going to introduce new social studies and science concepts.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
I'll continue working at 3 schools w/ the same LSH students I did when we returned from the Thanksgiving break.

I can't believe we return the day after tomorrow already...no!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
I'm getting 6 new students - all boys!!! So, sounds like procedures, procedures, procedures.

Tags
back, break, christmas, school