A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Teacher Time Out Archives

Old 05-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Rookie

Moonlighting ideas?

Hi,

I will know whether I do have a new job in a few days - but all my interviews (and this possible job) are in the same part of the country which has a VERY high cost of living. I was told the possible 'starting' salary in the interview and at this point I am thinking - roomates? live in a bad part of the neighborhood?

Seriously, though, I think if I ever want to vacation again or have money to retire, I need to consider working in the summers. So, my question to other educators is - what do you do to earn extra money in the summer? Do any of these earn a lot? (or how much do they earn relative to your current salary?)

Ideas I am entertaining so far: adjunct teaching a course at college in the summer; summer school teaching at the school; try to freealance write?
I also noticed that tutoring in some areas seems to earn a lot of money - didn't know if it was truly worth the time investiment or if it is feasible in the summer.

Any ideas that others are willing to share would be appreciated.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Companion

California
I do nothing in the summers, especially teaching related. You need a break from students in general. In fact, I live in the "bad" part of town and have great neighbors. You have to decide what is best for you. As for retirement, don't you pay into a retirement fund? The place I live is outpricing too many people in the area. We bought our house just before the boom in the housing market so we are lucky. We have four people living off of my bottom rung salary and are doing just fine, but we do make sacrifices (all of our vacations are related to us, ie-Grandma and Grandpa...) You can live off a little in a place that costs a lot, you just need to be creative. We got bikes to use this summer for around town instead of driving. We rent movies rather than go out to the movies. We camp rather than hotels (ugh, not my favorite).

If you really want a job for the summer may I suggest a mindlessly easy job in comparison to what you do during the school year. If you are not careful you will become a statistic.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Novice

MO
I teach summer school. It's good pay, just a few hours each morning for half the summer, and very casual low-stress environment. It would be even better if you could do an "enrichment" course, because the students chose to be there.

I also bartend year-round (although, not as much during school year, and even less during football season). I've heard a few horror stories of schools/admins putting pressure on teachers who bartend, but unless there's something in your contract, and esp. if it's a public school, they can't make you quit. Fortunately, I live in a very German community where people like their beer, so it doesn't hurt me at all (probably helps with some people too!).

Something I did last year, and may do again this year is working a fireworks stand. I realize there are geographic restrictions, but if it's available, it's not bad. If you could start your own, you could do well. The guy that owns the one I worked is a teacher (and a friend of mine). He said most years he makes more with the tent than his teacher salary. And he's not doing too shabby with that either.

I agree that the best option is something entirely mindless that pays really well. Other ideas would be landscaping/mowing, golf course, amusement park (if available), swimming pool/park...just think "seasonal."
Old 05-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Cohort

nj
3rd grade inclusion
I agree with D2.....Try to get into a summer school program in your area, even in your school district. Usually the hours are 8-1, most times not with your regular kids, and it is not as stressful as the group sizes are smaller. What about a learning center, such as Sylvan or Huntington, if you have them in your area? You name your hours, are in an air conditioned center, are provided with all materials and only work with one student at a time. Tutor - post your name and hours with local schools or on their web sites or just through word of mouth.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Connoisseur

Working at a camp is a good summer job, last summer, I was able to save most of my teaching pay (we get our $ spread out over 12 months) and live off of my camp pay (unusual, but I have been working there for years)so it really did provide some nice cash!
This summer I plan to tutor or even work for a temp agency!
good luck! I know how bad salary in high cost of living places can be...due to my situation, I live w mom and dad!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Habitué

NH/USA
currently tutoring
I work at a summer camp, have done it for the past 7 years. I earn my tax money. At first it was necessity, my husband lost his job and we needed the income. Now it is just what I do in the summer. I work in the office, so I am not "teaching" anyone, and the people are great. I manage to get a few weeks off before school starts so I have some down time.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Habitué

south eastern US
Hello, I am a little confused about the need for summer work. Don't teachers get a paycheck during the summer if they opt to?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Comrade

Not all districts work that way. Many are on a 10 month plan. Most teachers won't even get a paycheck until Oct. if they start school in Sept.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Novice

MO
I get a paycheck year round. I also have to work a second job year round. There are others that don't need to supplement during the school year, but financially must work during the summer.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:59 AM

Florida
I like mindless, D2, but not sweat! I just tutor two mornings a week at my school. I only have 4 kids this year, kind of slim.

Tags
ideas, moonlighting