A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Comrade

North Carolina
Pre-K Teacher
Books on tape

Something about our ECERS requires us to have and use a tape player with books on tape. It's supposed to be for independent use by the students. Well, my supervisor just got me the tape player, and the kids can't work it.

We did a lesson at group on how to press play, stop, which end to put in the player facing down, how to turn the page when you hear it click, etc. I put colored dot stickers on the bag, the book, and the tape so they could match them up to put them up.

They get frustrated when the tape is finished and it has to remind. They turn the pages too fast and are done before the tape. We're having to stay over at that center through the whole center time.

I wanted this to be a fun thing, but it's not. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone tried CDs that go along with books in their class? I'm about ready to invest my own money in getting some. Suggestions?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
Can you use books on tape with your WHOLE GROUP during story time for a day or two and model how to wait for the bell to turn the pages?

I know you said you have stickers on the tape and book to match... great idea Could you put a sticker of some sort on the tape player to remind them which buttons to push? Sometimes I think the ones that come on the players are way too small for even adults to see. Maybe a greeen arrow on "play" and a red dot on "stop"... then maybe yellow on rewind?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:10 PM

The land of fun and sun
Former math teacher
It has to be an actual tape player???? If a CD player is acceptable, I'd go that route even if I had to spend my own money. My kids have been able to operate CD players since they were around 3, but I don't think my 7yo would figure out a cassette player even now.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I have used both...tapes seem to hold up better over time. I have a red sticker on the stop button. I also have a green sticker for start. I then have a sticker with an arrow for rewind. I also have a red sticker and green sticker on the tape. The green sticker has to be facing up to listen to it.

I think doing it a few times as a group is a great idea. I would also suggest having a helper or two (children that learned to work it) to help cleanup at that center.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Novice

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
I know all about those guidelines. When I was working at a center with toddlers we had to have the books on tape, and they HAD to be out at all times. IT WAS A DISASTER. Every time you turned around another tape was destroyed. Eventually, they eventually gave us a CD player, which was a bit better...but that age still didn't get it. But I would definitely go with the CD player if you could. You could always burn copies of the CDs to keep out and put the originals away, so in case they get scratched/ruined, it's not a huge deal.

You can also buy audio books online for books that you might already have in the classroom, and burn them on to CDs for the kids to use.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher87 View Post
You could always burn copies of the CDs to keep out and put the originals away, so in case they get scratched/ruined, it's not a huge deal.
What a great idea! I have another project for winter break... burning all of my originals.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Devotee

California
Early Childhood Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J., Pre-K View Post
Something about our ECERS requires us to have and use a tape player with books on tape. It's supposed to be for independent use by the students. Well, my supervisor just got me the tape player, and the kids can't work it.

We did a lesson at group on how to press play, stop, which end to put in the player facing down, how to turn the page when you hear it click, etc. I put colored dot stickers on the bag, the book, and the tape so they could match them up to put them up.

They get frustrated when the tape is finished and it has to remind. They turn the pages too fast and are done before the tape. We're having to stay over at that center through the whole center time.

I wanted this to be a fun thing, but it's not. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone tried CDs that go along with books in their class? I'm about ready to invest my own money in getting some. Suggestions?
I had the same problems with my book/tape center. I removed it.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Comrade

3rd Grade Teacher
Something similar happened in the school I'm in. When we read books on cd, we have to show the children the book and allow them to turn the pages. Not matter how many times we tell them, you turn the page after the beep whoever turn it is just grabs the page and turns it whenever they want to. There's one girl, although this girl is very passive aggressive in general, who doesn't turn the page at the beep and doesn't when the teacher, or I, reminds her. We actually ripped a few pages with her, because a few times it was her turn and she wouldn't turn it and the teacher went to turn it and she held the bottom down. She always does it right as the teacher turns the page. We don't put them in centers and I'm glad. That would be a mess with our kids.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Groupie

Texas
A listening center is a very important part of any early childhood classroom. You can see pictures of mine at the link, although our district has since switched to ipods and iTunes as a listening center. When I used the individual cassette players we colored coded the buttons with nail polish and stickers, red for stop, green for play. It worked very well once the kids learned how to operate them.

One of our pre-k centers subscribes to BookFlix from Scholastic and uses that as their listening center, it's fantastic! It reads stories on-line to the kids, all popular Scholastic titles so they get the listening center and computer skills all in one.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Comrade

KY
Preschool Teacher
We have both tapes and CDs available for the listening center. I encourage the kids not to mess with the buttons. We tell them that a teacher will start/stop the tape/CD and switch to a new story when they want it. We've had too many cassettes destroyed and CD players broken because the kids couldn't operate it properly. If I could figure out a way to do it, I would mount the CD player up on the wall so that the only thing they could touch in the listening center would be the headphones.

Tags
books, tape