A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Surveys

Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
Again, I'm for tenure. Tenure DOESN'T MEAN A job for life, just requires a specific protocol to be followed for getting rid of an ineffective teacher. Most of the new evaluative protocols (Marshall et al) deal with ineffectiveness.

Musevine #15. Are you currently teaching, how much experience do you have? Some wines age to their full potential, others turn to vinegar. Do you be enough experience to know which you will be? Are you in a position to judge? Is anyone?
Like most things, it's probably a matter of definitions, so I'd be with you in supporting tenure if clear and efficient procedures were in place to let go of ineffective teachers.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEd View Post
Like most things, it's probably a matter of definitions, so I'd be with you in supporting tenure if clear and efficient procedures were in place to let go of ineffective teachers.
What are your state/district practices for evaluating teacher effectiveness?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
What are your state/district practices for evaluating teacher effectiveness?
I'm actually in the private sector now, but to my knowledge it's a portfolio-based assessment that includes a variety of work samples, some of which includes achievement data, as well as observations, etc. To my knowledge year-end test scores aren't being used.

I think my major concern is a variety of teachers continue to remain in the system when they shouldn't, despite complicated evaluation procedures. It seems that most folks - administrators and teachers - feel that the assessments are simply a formality that must be done right so that the "powers that be" are satisfied. There seems to be little motivation to engage in authentic evaluation that is either helpful to teachers or that actually results in real accountability.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Rookie

California
Teacher in training.
I am for it, I believe that there are some sh*tty parents out there who when they don't get their way, they use you as the scape goat. Or for students who think it's fun to cause trouble. It makes me feel safe knowing I'm protected.

Tags
academic, academic tenure, debate, tenure, wrongful termination