A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebob View Post
What type of situations would a teacher need to talk to the media. I am just having trouble coming up with situations where this could likely come up.
I was the only teacher called to testify in a high profile abuse case. I fielded phone calls for weeks and had media calling the school to talk to me. In fact, a reporter is the one who told me that I was on the witness list for the public defender.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
To my knowledge there is nothing in our contracts about talking to the media. It is generally understood, however, that teachers will not talk to the media if they want to keep their principals happy. I personally wouldn't speak to the media unless my admin knew about it ahead of time, especially not about anything controversial.

I'll add that if the news comes to a club event, I'll tell them all about the club I sponsor. I think that would be okay.
That's called "professional courtesy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaba View Post

We don't have anything in our contract about the media, but every year we've been told not to speak to the media about anything district-related.
That may not be legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDrama View Post
LAUSD is always in the news here for something. Just last week the news was that they hired a former priest who they knew had been accused of child molestation charges. Teachers can't just go expressing their opinions just because they feel like it. I don't think it's hiding from the truth, I think it's knowing your role. If there is something that specifically involves you however, then the choice is yours to fall on your sword.
Actually, the opposite may be true. You may communicate to the media as a citizen regarding school matters. Let's say there are unsafe conditions at your school and the you are approached by reporters. You may share what you know. That is protected speech. On the other hand, let's say you get a bad evaluation. Since that involves your own individual beef with the district, you may not be protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistTchr View Post
I believe there is a clause in our teachers' contract prohibiting any communication with the media.
For anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinderCowgirl View Post
I remember reading something to the effect of absolutely no talking to any media outlets without the district's express consent in our contract.
Makes cover-ups of corruption and wrongdoing at the district much easier, doesn't it?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Ah, the timing. My school's PR director (it's a huge charter) and Education Technology head were on the news today, talking all about our school's approach to helping students heal after being bullied at their original schools. They did a great job and I'd be proud to point to that interview rather than risk saying something incorrect. Those two will occasionally ask for quotes or even an interview from me, but I'll let them take the lead.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Connoisseur

U.S.
4th Grade Teacher
I was thinking along the lines of being what we thought about an X amount of budget cuts in our district and if we felt the right choices were being made. I don't see anything wrong with sharing our opinions on a topic like that.

Tags
allowed, media, speak