A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Cohort

I'm in NJ and teach in a middle school and I definitely may be wrong, but I don't think we can do a multi subject middle school test. I believe you have to have K-5 (elementary ed content) and then departmentalized Praxis 2 exams.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
No, you don't sound like a nut, praxisaspirant: it takes a while after the introduction of a new test for the standard test-prep suppliers to pull together books that say "5031" on the outside.

Not to worry, however. Test formats and methods of delivery may vary, but the subject matter tends to be tested in fairly similar ways across teacher tests.

Which domains listed in the Tests at a Glance doc have you most concerned?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Rookie

NJ,USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJill View Post
I'm in NJ and teach in a middle school and I definitely may be wrong, but I don't think we can do a multi subject middle school test. I believe you have to have K-5 (elementary ed content) and then departmentalized Praxis 2 exams.
Oh yes, You are right!
I have to take praxis II, elementary school Multi subjects test #5031 first. Then only can I take subject specific tests for middle school.

My focus now in on 1) getting my degrees evaluated. 2) take test #5031. then move to 3) subject specific middle school tests.

Would you have material for the said test from your previous experience?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Rookie

NJ,USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
No, you don't sound like a nut, praxisaspirant: it takes a while after the introduction of a new test for the standard test-prep suppliers to pull together books that say "5031" on the outside.

Not to worry, however. Test formats and methods of delivery may vary, but the subject matter tends to be tested in fairly similar ways across teacher tests.

Which domains listed in the Tests at a Glance doc have you most concerned?
Thanks for the reply and encouragement..!

The TAAG says the subtests are 5032, 5033,5034 and 5035 which are reading and language art, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science respectively. I am still trying to get materials and to know what to study. You know the step one of start studying. I am definitely very very concerned about Social Studies. PLease tell me where to start from.

Can you please also suggest: if the e book that praxis sells on line, is it enough to pass the test?

Thanks a ton!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
5031 is, so to speak, the umbrella term under which 5032, 5033, 5034, and 5035 are gathered. Subtest 5034, which covers social studies, is allotted 50 minutes and there are 55 questions, and 5031 is advertised as "Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects", so coverage of the content is likely to be broad rather than deep.

I haven't seen Praxis's e-books, but it's generally the case that prep books need to be supplemented because they tend neither to be very visual nor to help place the information in context so that it actually makes sense. (History is the world's longest-running soap opera, frankly, and with depressing regularity it offers illustrations of the lower reaches of Maslow's hierarchy in action.) You might do well to get hold of a decent historical atlas, which should give you the world history and geography plus a bit of an orientation in US geography as well as serving as a useful resource in your future classroom. The Times Compact History of the World should suffice. In addition, plan on looking up the terms in the subtest description online - Answers.com, which links to Wikipedia, will usually serve you better than Google or Bing here, though for economics you might be better off Googling for a kid-friendly Web site.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Cohort

Pa.
7th/8th Grade teacher
Why don't you just take a 7-12 Content Knowledge test? That covers your middle years. Our state is doing away with the mid-level tests.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Milsey, it appears to be the case that praxisaspirant, who seems to be from New Jersey, is taking the test that New Jersey has instructed her to take.

Last edited by TeacherGroupie; 03-01-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Tags
middle, multiple, praxis, school, subjects