A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Rookie

I still have not met this student, but there has been a change of plans. Apparently this kid was just tested and did extremely well in areas of decoding and comprehension. Instead of doing reading with this student I am now going to be working on writing. I'm going to get the teacher's lesson plans and then help the student keep up with the class, if possible. The teacher tells me he's very smart and she can't seem to figure out where he is having problems. She thinks it's something to do with auditory processing. I've seen a worksheet that he did and he does very well with everything but some spelling. some words are missing letters, but other words are spelled perfectly. There isn't any consistency(that I can see) with his mistakes. I'm more confused now than ever, but I guess I'll have to wait to meet him. I'm feeling very much like a first year teacher!!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1 View Post
I still have not met this student, but there has been a change of plans. Apparently this kid was just tested and did extremely well in areas of decoding and comprehension. Instead of doing reading with this student I am now going to be working on writing. I'm going to get the teacher's lesson plans and then help the student keep up with the class, if possible. The teacher tells me he's very smart and she can't seem to figure out where he is having problems. She thinks it's something to do with auditory processing. I've seen a worksheet that he did and he does very well with everything but some spelling. some words are missing letters, but other words are spelled perfectly. There isn't any consistency(that I can see) with his mistakes. I'm more confused now than ever, but I guess I'll have to wait to meet him. I'm feeling very much like a first year teacher!!
I wouldn't stress too much over it at this point - once you start working with him, you can do an assessment and you'll have a lot more information.

Tags
houghton, mifflin, reading, teacher