A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Devotee

The Deep South
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2z View Post
???? A kid doesn't need an ED label to get social skills services. Related services aren't to be limited by the label. Once a child gets an IEP all needs are supposed to be considered regardless of the label.
I'm reading this different then you are. I haven't seen where she said only an ED label gets you social skills. This child does not have an IEP. I think the OP is stating that the service he would get if placed on an IEP would be social skills. I'm thinking the students that are receiving social skills are not just ED students. Plus, this student has been having problems less then a month.

Am I reading the situation right?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Somewhat, but not quite.... This student does actually currently have an IEP. He has been identified as having a specific learning disability in reading and writing, and he receives services in both of those areas. (As a side note, I'll point out that this student didn't technically qualify for SLD. His IQ is low but not low enough to qualify for an intellectual disability. When it was initially stated that he didn't meet criteria for any disability, his teacher cried, and the sped coordinator caved. Professional judgement was used for SLD, and here we are today.)

Kids other than those labeled as ED do get social skills services, yes. However, in order to get services in any area, the disability has to be related to those services. This child's behavior is not at all related to his disability, so therefore, he doesn't get social skills services through the sped department. Again, this behavior is new, and there has never been a need to even consider social skills for this child until now. Regardless of whether or not the need is there now, we can't give him social skills services unless we can find a way to link his behavior to his disability. Considering his current label, there's no simple link that exists.

In the past, the label didn't matter. An IEP truly was a gate to any and all services. That's not the case in my district anymore. We're being told by the higher-ups to only provide services that are related to the disability and the impact it has on the child. I'm not sure if this is the "right" way to do it, but it's how I've been directed to write IEPs by those above me. How is it done in other places?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Devotee

The Deep South
Special Education Teacher
In my district the label really makes no difference. Once a student has an iep services are available, it is what is written in the iep. For instance I have a sld student qualified by a math disability. He struggles in reading so his iep has services for reading too. Your situation sounds very frustrating. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Aficionado

USA
bella84, I hear what you are saying, and it seems like in this case the ED label (and assessment) doesn't make any sense. The only benefit would be that if the child were to leave the school, you'd have played a part in helping him secure potential services in the new school, but when compared with the risks (e.g., stigma) of the ED label, it really doesn't make any sense.

Are the admin not listening to you? Why do you think they are pushing it? What's in it for them?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
I'm honestly not sure what they think is in it for them.... Except that, as mopar said, it will become my problem to deal with and find a solution to the behaviors instead of an administrator and counselor problem. At least in theory. Although, I can guarantee that if he goes running out of the building again, it's not going to be just my problem.

This isn't the first time they've jumped the gun on testing. It happens very frequently that, as soon as there is a repeated behavior problem, they turn to sped hoping for a label, not realizing that a label isn't a solution. At least for now, I think I've convinced them to wait and hear what the psychologist has to say before going any further.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
I'm honestly not sure what they think is in it for them.... Except that, as mopar said, it will become my problem to deal with and find a solution to the behaviors instead of an administrator and counselor problem. At least in theory. Although, I can guarantee that if he goes running out of the building again, it's not going to be just my problem.

This isn't the first time they've jumped the gun on testing. It happens very frequently that, as soon as there is a repeated behavior problem, they turn to sped hoping for a label, not realizing that a label isn't a solution. At least for now, I think I've convinced them to wait and hear what the psychologist has to say before going any further.
Well, good luck - you definitely aren't alone, but with no in-house team it definitely sounds like you have it worse than most.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Thank you!

We do have an in-house team for cognitive, achievement, and language testing, but the behavioral part is on the teachers.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
Thank you!

We do have an in-house team for cognitive, achievement, and language testing, but the behavioral part is on the teachers.
So the teachers perform the FBAs in your district?

I know that some districts like to have behaviorists come in - at least to do a short observation of the student
Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Yes, we do the FBAs, the observations, a social history interview with the parents, pass out the rating scale forms to the teachers, tally the scores, and write the reports after all of that has been completed.

We would love to have a behaviorist come in to assist (it would mean more time to actually plan and teach!), but it's all on us, unfortunately. We have two district level coordinators who will come in to assist in extreme or unusual cases, but it would be impossible for them to be involved in every case.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Bella---my district is beginning to follow yours. IEP services are only provided for the area where the student qualified for a disability. A student who qualifies for SLD in reading would receive goals and services for reading only (no goals in math even if the student struggles in math).

That being said, we can add social work to an IEP of a student with an SLD label. Many students with a SLD also struggle with self esteem, self advocacy, self image, so we can often add a social work component if the team and testing shows a need. At anytime can be test or meet to determine if this eligibility is needed.

Now, we do have a full RtI team, so students who struggle in math but don't receive special education services in math, will still get help in this area. All our students (students with special needs included) are able to receive RtI services in all areas (even areas where they have a disability) as long as they qualify by our school testing.

Tags
magic, wand