A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Rookie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Dealing with Student Absences

I am currently have a position as a leave replacement and I'm going crazy trying to keep up with students who are absent. There are a select few who I can count on to be absent at least twice a week. The problem is that when they return to school they have three quizzes to make-up, not including their homework and classwork. No one really stays after school here, and there is not enough time during homeroom for them to make up all their work. Also, I don't want to lose class time for this because then they will fall further behind.

What system do you use to stay on top of absent students and their missing work?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Cohort

CA
High School Teacher
I keep an online calendar updated with outlines of my lesson plans. I upload any hand outs I used, and I COULD update my power points if I wanted to put in that much effort.

I also keep extra hand-outs of things in a folder taped to my door.

At a certain point, though, it's their responsibility. If they aren't willing to stay after school or come in at lunch to make up a quiz, they'll have to live with a "0."
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I always allowed a student to take a quiz during class time, but the homework and classwork were their responsibility.

I kept a wall where I would update missing work by student (or number). It was easy because our on-line gradebook had a section to generate a missing work report. So every week or twice a week, I would post this report to my wall.

Students who were missing work could lose their lunch to stay with me. Sometimes I would plan a fun review day for the students with no missing work while the other students did work that they missed.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Habitué

We keep a "absent work" folder in our room. I pop a few copies of each activity that we do in class into the folder for kids to pick up when they come back.

Absences are a HUGE issue in my district, especially with my students with disabilities. I have one girl who has missed over 30 days of school so far this year () and has about 20 tardies. I would love to have assignments posted online for them, but I work in a very low income district and many kids don't have access to a computer/don't know how to work a computer.

When I asked my SPED director for some ideas to deal with these absences, she said that we should discuss it "as a grade level team"
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Companion

take off the stress

No one is going to live or die from missing homework/classwork, so don't worry about it. Give them their quizzes during lunch time. They don't show, give them a zero.

Tags
absences, dealing, student