A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > High School

Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Rookie

I agree. Get out, now.

How have you long-term teachers stood this for so long? Why do we have to come up with "entertainment" and little devices to keep the little darlings engaged? It's very annoying. I am an old person trying to teach high school for the first time. If I make it to the end of this year I won't be back next year. I can't believe the hand-holding that has to go on with these spoiled kids. I know my attitude is terrible, so fire away, but honestly. Just sit down, learn if you want but be quiet in any case so anyone else who wants to can listen and work.

The wrong people are definitely in charge of things these days.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Comrade

Somewhere in the South
Reading Intervention/MTA Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Try this: "Get out of my room..............Now!"

I actually do this to a couple of students who are constantly interrupting, especially during class read-alouds. It's frustrating to have to stop in the middle of reading a really great piece of children's literature...it throws the students off, it throws me off, and it's incredibly disrespectful. I have been known to tell students to get out of my classroom and that they can come back when they choose to be respectful. I'm not letting one child ruin the learning experience for the rest of my class.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Habitué

A wonderful veteran teacher at my school has a great "one-liner" for situations like this...

"I don't need an argument, I just need a change in behavior"

She says it in a calm, quiet way and moves on to the next task immediately. Whenever I've seen her use it, it works like a charm!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Rookie

I agree with Peregrin5 about the private conversation, but you shouldn't be giving them demands. Instead explain your reasoning to them and see if they comply. If they do not, simply send them off onto the disciplinary chain.

Tags
kid, type