A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Subjects > Music Teachers

Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutor View Post
Ironically found this post today. My brother is a superintendent. His district has 3 music teacher openings this year. There are only 8 music teachers in the district. 2 were new last year. He said he had 140 applicants for the 3 jobs.
Bizarre, isn't it?

We've hired 3 new social studies teachers this summer-- THREE!!! One is moving, one is in hospice, and the third died in a car accident last summer.

My husband's school hired 2 math teachers-- two of theirs retired.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 AM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
My parish did originally have music teachers in each school, but in 2 elementary schools the music teacher left (one left teaching, one transferred with husband). They did not fill those positions. The only other elementary now, with a music teacher is my school. She teaches music, health, and PE. That's probably the only way she has been able to keep her position.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Music Teacher
I have been out of school for two years now and am having the same problem. I have had a few interviews but those schools told me that they had a record number of applicants. It can be very discouraging!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Newcomer

Arizona
Music Teacher
I just relocated to Phoenix, AZ. With music, it depends on 1.)What level you are teaching and B.) how devoted your city is to the arts. I attended college in Mississippi. Southern cities are very big on music, as marching band and choirs are very important to their culture, so there is ALWAYS a need for music teachers, assistant band directors, band directors, etc. Most schools have 3 music teachers. The city I attended undergrad in usually hired graduates from my university straight out of college. I was actually offered positions at 3 schools in 3 different cities (one urban, one rural, one private; however, my husband wanted to move out west to pursue his career.

Upon searching the AZ education job boards, I found 90 SCHOOLS that were hiring music teachers, 18 in Phoenix Alone! While many were charter schools, there were quite a few public, private and catholic schools who were in need of teachers. The k-8 market experiences a lot of turnover, because most of us instrumentalists want the big bad band director job and jump at the first opportunity. I teach k-6, and will be looking for a high school position myself next year.

My advice is to search various state education job boards, see which city has the biggest need, and send your resume with documentaion of your experience and good reccomendations. Be open to travel, as some parts of the country are just not really big on the arts, as many states have been experiencing budget cuts and moneies are allocated to the sciences and language arts first, fine arts second.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Newcomer

According to me, finding a music teacher is not a complex and hard process but it depends on the student's interest because most of the students takes the help of the online music classes that's why the demand of the music teacher in schools/colleges is going down.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I live near Phoenix, Arizona. We can't find enough good music teachers. When we hire one, they often don't stay many years. They often go to another school that pays more money and which is closer to where they live.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletjones View Post
No never it is not like that music jobs are highly paid ones,its your talent that bags you money so don,t worry go for it you will get your salary paid high.
Scarlet...that's not how it works in education. Read the thread...music education jobs are few and far between.... Salaries tend to be contracted.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Rookie

Australia
Music Teacher
Your post has me worried.

Hi, I saw your post and thought it helpful in my decision making. I hope you find work soon!

Newcomer

Australia
Music Teacher
Smile Australian teacher looking for work in the US.
Hi, my name is Catie Monkeey and I am a Australian/US citizen currently living in Australia. I have been teaching both secondary (high school) and primary (middle school) music for 6 years and hold a Graduate Diploma of Education and a Bachelor of Music.

The reason I write this post is that I am wanting a new experience and I have decided to move to the US. I am unsure which state to move to and have a lot to consider. So far in my research I have found that there are different licences for each state and that Indiana appears to have similar teaching standards and curriculum. I am wondering if anyone could help in the decision making and help me with tips or advice for finding work. It would also be nice to meet like-minded people on this forum and would be happy to share the information I have gained from living and teaching in Australia.

Things I am looking for in a state:
work!
seasonal weather
friendly people
reasonable living costs and housing
parklands, rivers, lakes etc.

I am willing to readjust my list as I am really wanting to try and find work. I have heard that teaching is a very competitive career in the US.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,
Catie

Tags
days, finding, hard, job, music, teaching