A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 AM
Rookie

CA
I extremely support that a parent has a complete right to know about his ward development, whether he failing or succeeding. A teacher should keep a track report of kids and be in continuous touch with parent either through mail or on call. This is essential for the betterment of the kid.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 AM
Enthusiast

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by First School View Post
I extremely support that a parent has a complete right to know about his ward development, whether he failing or succeeding. A teacher should keep a track report of kids and be in continuous touch with parent either through mail or on call. This is essential for the betterment of the kid.
Right. I have over 140 students. When am I supposed to be writing all of those letters and making all of those phone calls? Before school during all of the meetings I attend? After school during the extracurriculars I sponsor? I contact parents for failing grades, or if a student has made significant growth or done something amazing. This is maybe two or three parent contacts a week, mostly by e-mail. I'd need another planning period or a secretary to do many more than that.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Fanatic

I don't call for every failing grade (or even zeros due to no submission). I don't have time for it. But students that are old enough to be one of 100 (middle school, high school) are old enough to take responsibility for their own grades. Between the progress reports and online system, no teacher should feel guilty for a parent not knowing what is going on.

In my class, you'd have to be a really slack parent to not know how your child is doing academically. And a slack parent isn't likely to make a difference if he/she did know, anyhow.

At Open House (which few attend but everyone is invited by letter AND phone call from the system) I announce that I'd like everyone's email address. I ask for it on my website. I have a blank line for it on the info sheet I send home the first day of school. If I don't have one for a parent I look it up on the computer system. Then I send out mass emails for everyone in each class, which includes telling them about progress reports. You have to try to be unavailable in my class.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
I send out every test to be reviewed and signed. As a parent, I don't want a surprise as the bimester ends and grades close. It's not fair, and it doesn't help the student. If a child is struggling, the parent needs to be notified and intervention needs to take place.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Comrade

Elementary Teacher
FYI, on our report cards, if you're "approaching grade level standards" -- you're behind! VERY few students get a grade that low.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Our grades are on a grade book site...If I had my way we wouldn't send home report cards or progress reports. If you really wanted to check on your child's grade you can anytime. All our parents have Internet assess...or at least my parents do!

Tags
child, failed, parent, test