A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > High School

Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Multitudinous

It sounds like you have some valid questions about the teacher's behavior. I hope that the teacher and principal can address those concerns.

I do think that your son needs to apologize for his behavior. Directing profanity towards a teacher is never justified. The fact that he would use profanity in an email to a teacher makes me believe that he is probably behaving rudely and disrespectfully in general towards the teacher. That's not appropriate, and I hope that you address that with him and offer consequences for that at home.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
It sounds like you have some valid questions about the teacher's behavior. I hope that the teacher and principal can address those concerns.

I do think that your son needs to apologize for his behavior. Directing profanity towards a teacher is never justified. The fact that he would use profanity in an email to a teacher makes me believe that he is probably behaving rudely and disrespectfully in general towards the teacher. That's not appropriate, and I hope that you address that with him and offer consequences for that at home.
I agree with all that you are saying. My son did have an attitude towards her. We have all learned alot (hopefully she did too) from this experience and how your reaction to a crisis (or anything) may define how you are looked at. I already see a change in his demeanor (for the better).

We have addressed his comments to the teacher and how using foul language is nonproductive. He did apologize immediately after he sent the email and he has rightfully taken the 1 day suspension for the foul language. I am glad its behind us and I hope the teacher can move on as well. Thank you everyone for all your comments and guidance on this issue.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Guru

It sounds like you all handled it well. Except the teacher, assuming she really did show the class his letter. That's just dumb.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Aficionado

North Carolina
Middle School Math Teacher
I would absolutely be meeting with the P to discuss the teacher showing a private email to an entire class. Your sons' language and attitude was inappropriate, but that does not justify the teacher violating his privacy and showing an email to the class. I wonder if the same teacher would like the P to show her emails to the rest of the staff during their next meeting?

Her actions in that matter are completely unprofessional and I would demand the P address it. I would also monitor the interaction between your son and the teacher over the next few weeks. If I felt the teacher was showing ANY retaliation towards my son, I would be meeting with the P again and insist the teacher be there as well. Then I would suggest my son be placed in another class and allow to do some type of research project or independent study to finish the credit for the class, since the teacher seems unable to put her personal feeling aside.

Tags
accused, hacking, long, son