A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Fanatic

Louisiana
Sub plan help!

I never, ever miss, but I need to take off work tomorrow. We are in the middle of movies with all of my classes. I know my sub well, and I am leaving the second half of Psycho for two of my classes to watch, along with some review questions and a word search. However, in my upper level class, they are in the middle of a movie that I would like to give them more guidance in viewing, Life is Beautiful. I don't want to leave the second half of that movie for the sub.

I'm looking for something that an advanced film studies course could do that would take only one class period, or about an hour and a half. We have recently studied Chaplin and Hitchcock. I hate being absent!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingrules12 View Post
You are leaving the second half of Psycho to be watched? Then having them do a word search? I hope that your standards are higher than that. What is the purpose of high school students doing a word search? I think you have an awesome class that you are teaching, and I think you can find better movies than Psycho and more challenging activities than a word search.

I can see Life is Beautiful as that has lots of great info and lessons in it. I'd go towards that direction.
I agree that a follow up should bring out higher order thinking skills than a word search would, but 'Psycho' is a film classic and is used in many film/lit classes....here's a lesson plan from which the op might get some ideas:
http://www.curriculumsupport.educati...pdf/psycho.pdf
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Fanatic

Louisiana
Okay, whoa! Thank you so much for tearing down my lessons. Currently, we are doing a study of the horror genre, and focusing on Alfred Hitchcock. Yesterday, while I was at home, my students responded to a journal prompt. They then watched the second half of the movie Psycho, which we had already introduced and begun talking about. They then had to do a "quick quiz" or "exit ticket," whatever you want to call it, giving them a short writing prompt about the movie. Then, if there was any time left in the period, there was a word search that they could do. The purpose of having high school kids do a word search was to give them something to do for the last 5-10 minutes of class so that they didn't run amok in the classroom. I wasn't going to leave my sub in charge of leading a discussion about the movie because I can't know that subs are ready to discuss elements of cinematography, film criticism, film history, etc. Yes, ordinarily my class is full of all kinds of higher-order activities. Every year I have students come back and tell me that they took a film studies class in college and didn't learn as much as they did in my class. Or that they did a unit on film as literature in a composition class and already knew everything from my class. I don't any snark, and I don't really need lesson plan suggestions, though I do love finding new resources. I think it was really uncalled for to start attacking my curriculum and instructional methods for sub plans.

For what it's worth, I left my advanced film class some chapters to read and outline notes to fill in from the (college level) film studies textbook that we have. Then I told them to read an AR book quietly. I know they all have AR points due over the next few days. I don't like giving busy work and wasting their time, especially in a dual enrollment class, so I didn't. But I also don't like giving big projects or sensitive material to a sub.

In the future, I will refrain from asking for advice about my curriculum on this forum. I find myself visiting here less and less frequently these days, anyway...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I am so sorry you felt attack...I understand that word searches sometimes fill a need and are an easy way to introduce vocabulary words. I hope that your sub did a great job.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Fanatic

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrachelle87 View Post
I am so sorry you felt attack...I understand that word searches sometimes fill a need and are an easy way to introduce vocabulary words. I hope that your sub did a great job.
Thanks! He did an excellent job. Everything went smoothly. No behavior problems, plenty to do to fill the time.

I just don't understand why we're so quick as teachers to pick each other apart. There have been times when I would questions a teacher's activities on here, but only when I thought the particular activity could cause them to run into trouble with parents or administrators (Holocaust-themed math problems, showing R-rated movies without permission, etc.) Ideally, every moment of every day would be filled with valuable learning experiences. The reality is that sometimes, when there's a sub, the best solution to fill the last few minutes of a 90 minute block is a crossword puzzle.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I totally get it...I teach a class that no one else teaches in my building. I was hospitalized the weekend before Thanksgiving. My peers stepped up and got activities for my class. The work was way below my kids level, but I am just so thankful they were willing to help out the sub. Did it hurt my kids to do easy work for two days? No, and the big scene of life they survived.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
I'm sorry you felt attacked but I'm glad the sub plans went well.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingrules12 View Post
You are leaving the second half of Psycho to be watched? Then having them do a word search? I hope that your standards are higher than that. What is the purpose of high school students doing a word search? I think you have an awesome class that you are teaching, and I think you can find better movies than Psycho and more challenging activities than a word search.

I can see Life is Beautiful as that has lots of great info and lessons in it. I'd go towards that direction.
Wow! She's looking for ideas to use for a sub, not what she would do if she was there herself.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Fanatic

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetea View Post
I'm sorry you felt attacked but I'm glad the sub plans went well.
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Okay, I can see that my comments about challenging the students with more than a word search was taken more as an attack than as a suggestion. That wasn't my intent. Miss CeliaB, I can tell from the numerous posts that you have posted that you know your stuff and are dedicated. As I can tell that my post is upsetting to you, I will remove it.

Tags
plan